 Off-Topic / Debate / 7738
Re: Critical Thinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 20:31:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeromy Irvine writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
http://www.csicop.org/si/9012/critical-thinking.html

Anyone here have reason to disagree with it? It is in
the context of evaluating paranormal claims, but has
bearing on a lot of what we've been
bandying about lately.

What happens if we hold him up to his own standard?

It must be possible to conceive of evidence that would prove the
claim -- 'It must be possible to conceive of evidence that would prove
the claim false' -- false. What evidence would prove that claim false?
More simply, is the statement, "Every true claim is falsifiable"
falsifiable?

He didn't say that, exactly. He said every "meaningful" (paraphrasing) true
claim is falsifiable and then proceeded to show why non falsifiable claims
don't help us in our understanding.

Just something to think about...

Good point but while you're thinking about that, think about Goedel, and
whether the cited statements are claims, or are process descriptions about
how the system of verifying claims works.

Me, I'm not sure.

++Lar