 Off-Topic / Debate / 7936
Re: Religion and Science
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:24:08 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Indeed, if you could prove God exists, there wouldn't be a need for "faith".

And yet, Bruce, if I said to you "there is a God who exists as revealed by Jesus of
Nazareth", what would be your first response?  Maybe you'd say, "that's nice for
you, now run along and play" (oops, that's what *Lar* would say).  But what if I
pressed and said,"No really, it's true!"  Your next thought would be that you would
want *proof*.  Is that inconsistent to expect?  Or maybe you'd want evidence.  What
amount of evidence would convince you?  Hypothetically speaking, what *would* it
take to convince you as a skeptic?

-John

I'd ask what's more important, the message or the messanger?  Is it the
message that Jesus of Nazereth brought that is important, or who you claim
him to be?  Is the message only of importance because of who it is from, or
because there is something inherent in it that is valuable?

Yes;-)  The message is most important, because it finally reveals God's true nature.
And although the following may sound circular, I think it makes sense.  What makes
Jesus so special and that He alone has the final revelation from God?  The answer is
because He *was* God incarnate (how conveeenient, I know:)  But it does make sense that
*only* He could know God the way He did because He was in fact God.  A paradox for
sure, but there you have it.

Okay, but that other guy over there claims that Krishna is an avatar of
Vishnu (Christianity has such a hard time of explaining Christ is a
manifestation/incarnation of God and Hinduism has little problem with the
same concept) which is pretty much the same thing.

Well, being God and man at the same time is quite a trick;-)  Fully human, fully divine.
As for Hinduism, don't know anything about it.

Why choose one over the
other?  He'll advance the same arguments as you - in absense of personal
experience how do I *KNOW* which one to choose?

I don't have the answer to that.  And I will be the first to say that God is probably
bigger than Christianity.  But I know that God has revealed Himself to me through the
teaching of Jesus Christ.  Whether God reveals Himself to others through any other is
possible, but not my concern.  I have my doubts as to whether God is hung up on the details
of ritual and belief-- I mean, so many Christians have so many different beliefs
themselves!  I think God is more interested in action, in the fruit of an individual.  Talk
all you want, but actions better back it up.  Even God says in the OT: "For I desire
steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God, rather than burnt offerings."
(Hosea 6:6)  And in the NT James talks about the worthlessness of faith without works.
Even Paul's point in 2 Corinthians 13 (the famous love chapter) is that you can have
everything, but if you don't have love, you've got nothing.  God is love.

Having said that, I doubt whether a person can lead a good and moral life on their own.
And even if they came close, arrogance and pride would be their undoing anyway.  As I have
stated before, I believe we as humans need a moral compass.  We need God.  If we search for
God, God will find us in some way.  The only way *I know* for certainty is through Jesus
Christ by my own personal experience.  YMMV, but I have no personal knowledge of that.

That is why I can fully believe in His words.  Other prophets are conduits and are
subject to human error and fallibility.  Jesus was unique.  I am not necessarily
negating other prophets and their messages (unless they actively deny Jesus' deity).

Again, this does not address my question.  It just makes a claim, but offers
no reason to accept it over any other claim beyond that you believe it.

Maybe I have no reason to convince you to accept it over others.  As I mentioned before, I
condemn no other religion (qualify: which asserts monotheism), unless it actively *denies*
Christianity.  If you ask me, I can tell you my experience, what I believe to be true.

Further, it argues against what you just claimed above: now you are saying
that the messenger is what is important.

No, when I said "yes' to your question as to which was more important, the messenger or the
message, I was glibly meaning "both".  The messenger (who is not really a messenger, but
the big poopah Himself) delivers the message with authority and with knowledge only God
could have.  This is what legitimizes the message because it is from God Himself, through
His incarnation as Jesus, the Christ.

It doesn't matter what he said, it
matters who is.  This becomes the sole means of justifying the validity of
what the message was (the message is "true" because it comes from God, not
because it necessarily has inherent value).  Since the messenger is what is
important, and not the message, you need to ascertain the validity of the
messenger.

Did you mean to say "validity of the message"?  I'm lost on your distinction anyway...

-John

-John

You walk up to me and say the above (God as revealed by Christ), but a Hindu
walks up at the same time and says, no, I should be listening to Krishna, an
avatar of God.  How do I choose?  How do I *know*?  Then, just to confuse
things, a muslim walks up and says Jesus was a prophet of God (not an
avatar), but the prophet I *really* should be listening to is Mohamad.
There is a God, but as revealed by Mohamad, not Jesus.

See, if you cannot resolve this, you are admitting that you will not or
cannot "prove" your point - you are proceeding on faith alone.  I don't have
a problem with that at all, except when you claim otherwise.

Bruce

If you cannot give me *proof* of the messanger, what do I have to judge but
the message?  What is left but faith that the message and the messenger are
true?  If one religion was provable, why are there so many?

And I never said I was a skeptic.  :-)

Bruce