 Off-Topic / Debate / *4631 (-100)
  Re: Just a suggestion... (Was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) I agree completely. Debates are not for getting results. Actually when the first of religious debates appeared here (at the very early days of Lugnet) I was against it because I thought it might have introduced unnecessary cold feelings (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) It's not an amendment, and misinterpreted many muslims as you already worded it. It actually written in kuran as same as you jews are interpreted. This picture/statue case in Turkish Islam is much more like your people's belief, except some (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Artificial Life (Was: Re: Evolution (was Re: Mormon bashing again))

(...) It's understandable to be in awe of what god has produced, but it's arrogant to assume that just because we can't comprehend it all, that evolution must be the answer. It's understandable to be in awe of what evolution has produced, but it's (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) It's just an European language thing isn't it? We have only one word for third singular person in Turkish, "o". So a Turkish speaking christian it doesn't make any difference, if that thing called god is a male, female or neither. Isn't it (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God gay? (was Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Actually, its not so clear if you consider what is known as "pseudographia" -- the books selected out by Peter and the other late-comers (some of these were 200 years later late-comers). I, like others in this mad thread, have forgotten and (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God gay? (was Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Before I start, I'd like to say that there is no "super-bad" sin. All sin is considered equal in the eyes of God (except perhaps blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Matthew 12:31. Not sure how that one works). Many people, Christians included, (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

Every Notes installation I've ever seen in real life (outside of IBM, that is) (and I've seen a bunch, trust me) always seemed to have a PROFS installation running somewhere too, for calendaring. Dunno why. I digress... PROFS is just a shell on top (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I think this is an interesting thing for you to say. If memory serves, you are paraphrasing Paul (1 Corinthians 13? Except in King James it says "charity" instead of "love"). The difference is that Paul was talking about God's love for (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God gay? (was Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) I'm not Christain, but I am gay, and my daughter is Christian, so I've done some digging on this to combat the stuff she was getting from her church which had her really worried about *me*. Without getting into a long rigamarole, there are (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God gay? (was Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Sorry (...) Americans (...) No stress, although when I see some of the FOTW posts I wish I was in the US so I could get my hands on some cheap LEGO. Whoops...On-Topic. Pete Callaway (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God gay? (was Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Doh! You assumed right, I did not. I thought you lived in the USA too. Sorry about that! I'm sure that it happens all of the time because a lot of Americans tend to assume that everyone on the Internet is an American too (NOW I notice the .au (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Ugh. I absolutely hate maintaining a Notes Server. And until recently, the client was incredibly horrible. Both scored negative points with me in terms of user-friendliness and flexability. But: I understand that, using the right combination (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) I don't think so, I'm sure God has a sense of humor every time I look in the mirror. I think He differentiates between humor and seriousness. Just like intent in a legal case. Bill (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) What is this? (...) I had a couple of very charming young women come to my apartment door a couple of weeks ago and ask if I'd ever heard of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. They were surprised when I told them that I had and (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Of course the average IBMer doesn't use XEDIT (in any guise) much anymore. We use Lotus Notes for e-mail (now there's something to debate on...). Frank (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Just a suggestion... (Was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

Your suggestion is valid, no flames to you for making it. But it's a fun debate, even though it's plowing the same old ground. Debates end when the people in them get tired of them, not before. So I'd ask, why do you care? Just curious... Is this (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

No, I never did reveal it because no one ever gave it much of a try. Frank is correct in his identification. I'd posit that more people use XEDIT without realising it than any other text editor anywhere, and that will remain true (by a careful (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) it (...) Point well taken. How do you base what you believe is true? On what fits your current lifestyle best? I met a woman once who told me she believed in reincarnation just because she felt like it. She was a "Good Lutheran." (her words) (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) I didn't say that I hadn't, although I've come close. I've certainly never intentionally cheated or stole from anyone, but lying is a bit grey... is exaggerating for effect when you're joshing around with someone lying? Technically yes. (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Evolution (was Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) Printed where? Were they sociological studies of the religious beliefs of professional scientists, or were they annecdotes of certain scientists who had some Christian coworkers? What is a large number? Is it in the hundreds or the thousands? (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) But I think you're limiting yourself by settling for such low expectations of love. Not to sound psychological, but if you're protecting yourself from being hurt, then your protecting yourself from the joy that could possibly come too. Of (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Sproaticus wrote in message ... (...) you (...) deeper? As far as I know it has not been revealed. The editor is XEDIT from IBM (1). One reason Larry stated that many people use it and aren't even aware that they are using it is that there are (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: evolution (was Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) Right. But that's not the whole story. IIRC, the moth population had 5% dark moths, who were eaten quickly because of the white beech tree (ie, they had no camouflage). The black color, was, I think, a mutation (or perhaps a recessive gene? I (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  evolution (was Re: Mormon bashing again)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Aaron Hines writes: I remember the example of a white moth that lives on beech (...) I thought that was as a result of a coal-burning power plant opening in the area. And soot deposited on the trees. And for the record, (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God gay? (was Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) The prereqs for being a Christian have been around long before I graced this earth. You make it sound like I'm professing to be the be-all and end-all of Christian knowledge. If stating what I believe based on facts I have researched is (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) scavenger (...) Not a scavenger hunt like in the Intro to Computers class. You gotta go for the real hard quests. Like, a post-doctorate dissertation on the effects of infrared light filtering in the thermosphere, or a virtual possum (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Just a suggestion... (Was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

Well.........280 messages.......I see no end in sight to this debate (Yes, I know it's in off-topic.debate)In fact, this debate has been going on for centuries to whether God(s) exist or not. I just suggest we end it. Let the philosophers deal with (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) I had to do one for a basic computer skills class(1), and I must say that though the idea sounded like fun, the implementation was horribly easy. I'd love to try a hard one sometime as in general I love scavenger hunts. Ben Roller 1. Since I'm (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Is God gay? (was Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

First off, sorry if anyone was offended by the subject...I was getting tired of the old one. (...) <sigh> There you go again, speaking as if your opinions are the prerequisite for Christianity. It may not be a secret to anyone else, but to me the (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Larry, I looked back though .off-topic.geek , and I couldn't find whether you had revealed the identity of the text editor that uses this mysterious text replacement syntax. Do you care to do so now, or should I look even deeper? Hmmm...just (...) (25 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) One of the arguments that has been repeated over and over here is the issue of the gender of God, and how to address God, which I think we'll all have to agree to dissagree on. I've stated my case on what I have researched and believe. You (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) That's fine, I was just presenting an alternative view point. (...) That's the point of wide generalizations - they're "generally" correct. I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't think I've been rude or uncivil at all. I also haven't claimed (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) I wasn't speaking to acceptability, my reference was to what would be the standard of judgement. It says that those who are not under the law (of Moses) will be judged without the law. They will be condemned all the same because without a way (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) [big snip] Bill, I'm afraid that we'll simply have to agree to disagree. After reading all of them, I can't see how any of the references you pointed me to support your side -- or even fail to support mine. And as for entering a civil (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  God is a lie? (was Re: Can God lie?)

(...) Hey now, we're not letting the hard line fundamentalists get away with statements like that without anything to back it up. It's fine (with me) if you believe that, but to say it here you should at least give reasons that we can debate. Ben (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Yes indeed you are, but you're wrong and it's not just me thats disagreeing with you. You're just repeating your arguments over and over but they've been discredited. (...) How do you know these are copies of the original texts? How do you (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) I can't remember it just at the mo... all my SF is still packed. Might be _Grumbles from the Grave_. Or not. I could also be all wet, it WAS 1:30 AM when I posted that. (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can God lie? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) the (...) Well, since there is no god, it would be hard for him to come down. The whole bible is a lie, its the world's best selling fiction novel. (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Well, as *some people* may say, Christians try to model their life on Jesus. Since I can't prove that Jesus referred to God in the feminine, but can prove He referred to God in the masculine, that's what I'm gonna do. I didn't mean to imply (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Why should I? This is something I strongly believe in which is being challenged in a civil discussion, so lugnet.off-topic.debate T&C's notwithstanding, I'm entitled to speak. You're bored with it? Don't read it. (...) Not true, at Bible (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) Larry, could you at least mention the book's name? (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Yeah, I know. :/ Unfortunately, the 'net doesn't have very effective antibodies. Fortunately, bandwidth just keeps going up. :) Whenever I do get sent this sort of thing, I tend to reply with SARC's URL.(1) It seems to be working, since I get (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) Meet some better christians. (mildly tongue in cheek) Most Christians I know would prefer it if you believe in their God (which ever version they ascribe to), and may well engage in passive conversion(1), but very few of them hold that being (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Which of the Ten Commandments are Libertarian? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) Heh...If you really want to engender some downright coveting from relatives, go visit some in Europe. ;) Of course, (in my case) going to Europe inspired some coveting right back, as I spent a lot of time in buildings older than my nation. (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) ...and definitely not a misteak! :) --Todd (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) c /sane/sake/ just a fun typo, NOT a pun try, although there are those who question my sanity and those who question whether it's not insane to try to debate here. But this one is more fun than usual. Cheers to sproat for spawning it. (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

Richard Franks wrote: . (...) Interesting. Can you do one dividing line? That is, if you sort by accuracy, do you get a crisp place to divide, or is "usefulness" a different sort key? I think it is. For example: I'd posit (for the sane of argument) (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) I've heard a version of this attributed to RAH himself, in a book that he at least had some control over, so I'd tend to give it some credence but who knows. (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Which of the Ten Commandments are Libertarian? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

PS, as far as coveting of the housing of neighbors, call me a bad, vain and shallow man but I *expect* some coveting by my relatives... why else move into a big house if not to: - have more room for LEGO (which I do, all my bins are on shelves, I (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God a He, a She, or an It? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Unlike *some people* :) I don't speak for all Christians, but IMHO that's the best way. (...) I think "you" is fine, though I think I'd personally go with the capitalized "You". Jesus, in several places "I thank you, Father..." Satan says (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Which of the Ten Commandments are Libertarian? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) That's incredible! I didn't expect it to come down to THAT elegant of a list! Freeking cool, man! --Todd (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

Waitasec.. (...) Are you sure about this? Most christians assert I am doomed to enternal damnation because I am aware of christanity but choose not to believe. They say that no matter how righteous my life is, no matter that I never lie, cheat, or (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Which of the Ten Commandments are Libertarian? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) You only need 1... this one: 8 - Thou shall not steal. All the rest that make sense derive from it. (left hanging and unproved in a previous thread is the assertion that "all rights are property rights" and "no initiation of force" and "people (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I'm not saying that referring to God as masculine is wrong, just that doing otherwise is equally right. You're implying that doing otherwise means that someone is not a Christian. That's the silly part IMHO. Ben Roller (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God a He, a She, or an It? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Hmm, then I suppose...the safest thing to use is God's name (or pseudoname) itself -- the first person form, rather than the third-person form? He / She / It => God Him / Her / It => God His / Hers / Its => God's Is that the best way then? (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Oh stop. Give up will you? You don't know for sure what Jesus did or didn't do or what he did or didn't say. You can only take the word of people dead almost 2000 years now, who recorded things in languages many translations removed from the (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God a He, a She, or an It? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) No, it isn't. You're taking Peter's word that the translation he read (and views as the literal revealed truth) has the pronoun gender right. Not every church that's christian uses "he" What parts of the bible are correct historical record (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Good Omens (was something less interesting)

(...) The phrase that hooked me, and dragged me in was the description of Crowley - 'a demon who did not fall so much as saunter slowly downwards.' (paraprhased, because my copy is on loan(1) right now) Another of my favorites, which will often get (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Consistent? Hahaha. You may want to review some of the previous threads here which ended up with the christians trying to explain away all the bible's inconsistencies as actually being consistent if you interpreted the words the way that made (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I think this is getting a tad silly. The focus isn't on what Jesus didn't do. It's on what he did do. He did call God "Father" and "He", and therefore we (Christians) do too. Pete Callaway (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) But that one's true! I have it right here in my mailbox and can send the receipe to anyone that wants it. Ben Roller P.S. Before anyone asks for it, I was joking. :) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can God lie? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

I think of course he could lie, but why would he have to (He should be- excuse me-"above that"). If he lies about his own existence reminds me of "I think (speak) therefore I am". Another thing comes to mind from an old George Carlin skit: "If God (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Jesus never called God She as far as we know. He never drove a car either. Does that mean that just because He didn't do it that we can't do it (along with the stuff that He did do) too? (...) So wouldn't "They" be more appropriate for us that (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can God lie?

(...) ahh - I see your point... If you can do anything, you can do something that you can't undo [1]. But once you did that, you could still undo it [2], therefor you faild to do it right the first time. (since you could undo it, even when you (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can God lie? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Personally, I think God could lie if he wanted to. (...) Well, I thimk we established a few months back that God can make Himself reappear after making Himself permanently disappear beyond His abilities to make Himself reappear. Because, since (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Can God lie? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) why would God not be able to lie? Are you saying that there's something that that said God cannot do??? :) Dan (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Can God lie? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) I wonder what would happen if God came down today and said, "I don't really exist. I had you all fooled. Have a nice day." Would that be a lie? Or, since it came from God Himself, would it be a paradox? --Todd (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) And if the lie is "There is no God....."? Pete Callaway (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Neil Gaiman was (Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) "Dream of a 1000 Cats" IIRC. I would recommend the Sandman graphic novels, first off, partly because they're my first exposure to Gaiman, partly because they're *really* good. I constantly reccommend "Good Omens" whenever I can, to whoever (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Again, you're assuming that events described in the bible are exactly as described, and were written down objectivly. The bible, however, was written by people who did believe in a God that led then through the desert etc, etc, etc. That makes (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is memetics a meme? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) ... I'd have to say no because this is getting silly! (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Seems to me that God, if so inclined, could demonstrate the truth in a way that leaves no question, no doubting, and can't be denied or avoided. God is omnipotent, after all. James (URL) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) FTR, I'm the one who mentioned the RPG. As an aside, that had nothing to do with my point, and certainly not as a source. If I wasn't so impervious, I'd be insulted that someone thought I was dim enough to do that. James (URL) catching up on (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I'll give the horse one more kick ;-) To call yourself a Christian implies that you follow Christ. By it's very name that is its meaning. Following Jesus IS a prereq for being a Christian. Jesus called God "Father" and "He", so you draw your (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I think the point of those religions is that you believe in it because it's true, not because you are afraid of your god. Ben Roller (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Eastern vs. Western religions (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) So Todd, is that just your opinion or what? ;) Ben Roller (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I don't mean to beat a dead horse on this issue, but I would insist that it is "some Christians" or "most Christians" that refer to God this way. Pete implies that ALL do, and that is just not the case. Calling God a male is not a prereq for (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Is memetics a meme? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Question: If Memetics itself is a meme, is it an intellectual bank-robber meme, bankrupting non-bankrupt intellectuals in its path, or does it propagate only in the minds of those who are already intellectually bankrupt? --Todd (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) The plight of the Israelites throughout the Old Testament is proof that he cared about them. He constantly refers to them as his "Chosen People". The fact that he sent Jesus to earth to do what He did is even more proof. I'm not talking warm (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Yes, according to Matthew 1:1-17, He was. It's way too long to write here, but it gives "X was the son of Y" all of the way from Abraham to Jesus. Well, technically Jesus wasn't related to Joseph, but that's close enough. Ben Roller (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) If God is really a donkey, and Jesus had come to Earth and said, "Ok, now let's say Our Donkey in Heaven" do you think that anyone would have taken him seriously? In that society (and some would argue this society), being a woman didn't mean (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I think the more we build up the idea of love, the more disappointed we are in how it plays out in reality. By accepting a more science-based view, I feel I have something closer to the truth of it and I am therefore not disappointed in my (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes: <<a bunch of stuff here and elsewhere...omitted for the sake of brevity>> Bill, its hard for me to respond to your comments because you ACTUALLY believe this stuff and I DO NOT. This is like talking (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is God a He, a She, or an It? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Er, I didn't mean that ("He and nothing else") literally -- I meant to say "male gender equivalent," which would cover He, His, Him, Father, etc... It's a good thing, too -- because if deities could have other genders, then one question which (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Is God a He, a She, or an It? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) OK, so it's a very long-established convention to use He and nothing else. Got it! (...) Ya, this reminds me of back in the late 80's when it was popular among certain groups not to acknowledge that the word "woman" (or "women") contained the (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Eastern vs. Western religions (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) that (...) And my beanie little brain fluctuates in a different manner. I think since people's understanding is so limited, especially of each other, they can't possibly know the heart of the one they're forgiving. We can rationalize that (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) To answer your first question, Christians refer to God as "He" and "Father" because that's how Jesus referred to Him. Since we believe that Jesus is the Son of God, then it is natural to expect Him to know the correct way to address God. I (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I knew that somehow you could boil it down to a mechanical apparatus if you wanted to. But in my heart I've gotta believe that we're more than just really sophisticated amoebas (no nitpicking please!) There are truths that supersede science (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Does the First Commandment tolerate Atheism? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) Wow. Well, that's actually quite reasonable, then. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, what you're saying is that the First Commandment does indeed tolerate atheism. It might not be happy with the existence of atheism, but it does (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) a) is pretty close. IMHO he's saying not to mix His service with the service of others. It assumes that the person who cares enough to find out what He expects is desirous to follow Him and should not divide their attention by seeking Him and (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) In addition to religions, some of the more fascinating memes (IMHO) include Internet hoaxes or urban legends -- for example the so-called "Good Times Virus" hoax or the so-called "Mrs. Fields' Cookies Rcecipe" messages. It's fascinating how (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Neil Gaiman was (Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

You said Pratchett came too late to write for the Pythons... well, Terry Gilliam is doing the movie of _Good Omens_. I can't wait (and I haven't even read the book! I guess I can wait) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) The mosaic law was still in force until His resurrection. (...) Fulfilled in the sense that he retired them. He fulfilled them because they were given to show sin and the need of an innocent sacrifice. Since animals could not propitiate a Holy (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) It might have been an essay, but it was a good one :) Thanks for this - I understand your previous message now! The meme-meme is an easy one to grasp but hard to master. I can't say I've mastered it yet, but I do find it interesting :) Richard (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Do the Ten Commandments tolerate Atheism? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) Actually, what's more puzzling to me is that the Ten Commandments don't say anything about passing on the information, unless that's implied by an external document. After all, we are all born atheists, and we can only accept religion as Truth (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Mormon bashing again

(...) Oh! I just realized, I have another question about the deep meaning of this the First Commandment. OK, is it assumed or implied here that God is commanding us to believe that he exists and to have Him as our god? Or is he simply saying (this (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) You're forgetting Abraham and Noah, they were long before this pharaoh and long before formal judaism. The hadn't taken up the views of that heretic, they obeyed the active voice of the God of their fathers. Melchizedek (Gen 14) is called the (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Which of the Ten Commandments are Libertarian? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) don't know anything about Libertarianism, but why do people keep saying the Ten Commandments were written by Christians? According to the Bible (the Old testament), it was handed to Moses on mount Sinai... Wasn't this mention before? :) Dan (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Which of the Ten Commandments are Libertarian? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) Whoops, I didn't literally mean Christian there. IIRC, the Ten Commandments predate Christianity by thousands of years. --Todd (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Which of the Ten Commandments are Libertarian? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) Hmm, hmm. A tangent... If the Ten Commandments had been written by a Libertarian instead of a Christian, I wonder how different they would look? Would there still be 10? Or only 5? Or would there be 15? Commandments 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 strike me (...) (25 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact