 Off-Topic / Debate / 4536
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 00:12:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
1 - Thou shalt have no other God's before me.

Oh!  I just realized, I have another question about the deep meaning of
this the First Commandment.

OK, is it assumed or implied here that God is commanding us to believe that
he exists and to have Him as our god?  Or is he simply saying (this would be
the literal or mathematical interpretation) that, IF one worships a deity,
He must be THAT deity?

In other words, is He saying,

(a) "I exist, and I presume that you believe that I exist; however, I command
    you to worship Me and Me only, even if you believe that other deities may
    exist," or

(b) "I exist, and I command you to believe that I and I only exist, and I
    command you to worship Me and Me only," or

(c) "I don't necessarily exist, but I happen to believe that I do, and if you
    also happento believe that deities exist, then I command you to believe
    that I do exist and to worship Me and Me only, for if I cannot be your
    one and only god, then let no god be your god."

?

What I'm getting at is this:  I don't see anything in the Ten Commandments
which commands people not to be athiests.  Is this correct?  Or does the
First Commandment contain the implied statement of:  "You must not not believe
that I exist."  ?

--Todd