 Off-Topic / Debate / 4537
4536  |  4538
Subject:
Do the Ten Commandments tolerate Atheism? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 00:19:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
What I'm getting at is this:  I don't see anything in the Ten Commandments
which commands people not to be atheists.  Is this correct?  Or does the
First Commandment contain the implied statement of:  "You must not not
believe that I exist."  ?

Actually, what's more puzzling to me is that the Ten Commandments don't say
anything about passing on the information, unless that's implied by an
external document.

After all, we are all born atheists, and we can only accept religion as Truth
once our mental faculties have sufficiently developed.  Thus it is very
important[1] for parents and communities to hand down the teachings of a
religion to their children -- else the meme ceases to propagate.

--Todd

[1] to the religion