 Off-Topic / Debate / 4630
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 09:05:50 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

Ben Roller wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
That is, is Christianity the only religion in which
its deity insists that it is the only true deity, or is this a common
thing in
the religions which have flourished?

IANAM(1), but I believe that one of the basic beliefs is that "That there
is no
god but God and that Mohammad is His messenger".  Though, they mean the same
God, so maybe that doesn't count.  This leads me to wonder: Is there a term
describe the believers of God(including Jews, Christians, Muslims and
others)?

Yes, it is something like the first amendment "La ilahe illallah and
Muhemmedun resulullah" or something like in Arabic.

Right... although IANAM (1) either, I did live in Israel in which Islam is the
second most popular religion. I remember learning about Islam two years ago
and taking a field trip to the near Misgad (temple, name in english = ?). That
sentence was written on the wall somewhere, and we were explained that Islam
encourages converts - the only thing you have to do is to say this three times
with deep belief that it's true - and there you go, you're a Muslim! :-)

The sentence is basically the Muslim's interpretation of the first ammendment.
Their interpretation of the second (third?) one ("You shall not create any
pictures or statues" (2)) led the Muslims to disallow any pictures of people
or animals whatsoever in their temples (Misgads).

-Shiri

It's not an amendment, and misinterpreted many muslims as you already
worded it. It actually written in kuran as same as you jews are
interpreted. This picture/statue case in Turkish Islam is much more like
your people's belief, except some deep fundamentalist.

Just like Christianity, Islam has countless interpretations some of
which contradicts each other in quite much subjects. And just as other
religions, it is also quite contradicting the real life..:-)

Selçuk

1. I am not a Muslim

(2) Jews interpret this as, "You shall not create any pictures or statues [of
other gods]", because the polytheistic religions common at the time prayed to
gods they could 'see' - pics or statues. So the Jews' disallowments are a bit
looser than the Muslims'.