 Off-Topic / Debate / 4563
Re: Neil Gaiman was (Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 04:19:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kya Morden writes:
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:03:09 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
It's a neat debate.  Nowhere that the war in heaven is described (which is
not that many places), does it say that the fallen are stripped of power or
status or title, just that they are cast from heaven.  Neil Gaimen has some
neat twists on this in his _Sandman_ series.

(I *like* Gaimen's work.  A lot.  He is one of, if not the, best modern
storytellers.)

Okay, not really a debatable subject (maybe it is) but what would some
good "starter" Gaiman stuff be?  I really liked 'Day of the Dead" that
he did for Babylon 5 and I've read a few short stories in Sandman that
I liked.  (One was about a cat telling other cats how they used to
rule the world and chased humans (as humans used to be smaller IIRC)
and at the end one of the cats listening to the lecture was dreaming
about chasing people and its owners said "aw how cute, he's dreaming
about catching mice.")

"Dream of a 1000 Cats" IIRC.  I would recommend the Sandman graphic novels,
first off, partly because they're my first exposure to Gaiman, partly because
they're *really* good.  I constantly reccommend "Good Omens" whenever I can, to
whoever will listen - It's that good.  "Neverwhere" is also excellent, although
I haven't had a chance to see the original, tv version, and have only read the
book.  He also likes to hide short stories in the depths of other people's
anthologies.  "Snow White, Blood Red" comes to mind, a collection of original,
not-cute-and-happy-ending fairy tales.

HTH!

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/