 Off-Topic / Debate / 4610
Re: memes (Was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 03:03:37 GMT

Sproaticus wrote in message ...
Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I'd posit (for the sane of argument) that
c /sane/sake/

Larry, I looked back though .off-topic.geek , and I couldn't find whether • you
had revealed the identity of the text editor that uses this mysterious text
replacement syntax.  Do you care to do so now, or should I look even
deeper?

As far as I know it has not been revealed. The editor is XEDIT from IBM (1).
One reason Larry stated that many people use it and aren't even aware that
they are using it is that there are several "programs" which are actually
just personalities of this editor. It is used as (at least) a mail reader
and a forum reader (IBM's internal version of newsgroups).

There are PC derivatives of XEDIT. I think I have also seen other editors
which use this find and replace syntax.

(1) Though there may be an earlier version, this editor is certainly still
in use, in fact, I popped into it the other day using the invocation which
makes it a mail reader.

Frank