 Off-Topic / Debate / 4609
Re: evolution (was Re: Mormon bashing again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 03:02:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Aaron Hines writes:

I remember the example of a white moth that lives on beech
trees.  It blends in with the bark.  There was a fire (in England I believe)
that blackened the trunks of a large section of forest...and the moths became
black to hide themselves.

I thought that was as a result of a coal-burning power plant opening in the
area.  And soot deposited on the trees.

Right. But that's not the whole story.

IIRC, the moth population had 5% dark moths, who were eaten quickly because of
the white beech tree (ie, they had no camouflage). The black color, was, I
think, a mutation (or perhaps a recessive gene? I don't remember).
During the Industrial rev., all the power plants and factories released lots
of soot, and many trees had blackened trunks. The dark moths were now hidden,
while the white ones were eaten by birds (as Chris mentioned). The black moths
breeded with each other, and became the majority of the population.

Well, after the British became enviromentally aware, they started to reduce
the pollution. The beeches turned white again. Whaddaya know - the moths adapt
again and the moth population is very quickly (they have a short life span)
white again.

And for the record, no white moths
became black.  It's just that the white ones were eaten by birds and the
population grew darker.

Yep.

-Shiri