 Off-Topic / Debate / 4570
Re: Can God lie? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 05:02:45 GMT

I think of course he could lie, but
why would he have to (He should
be- excuse me-"above that").
If he lies about his own existence
reminds me of "I think (speak)
therefore I am".  Another thing
comes to mind from an old George
Carlin skit:  "If God is all powerful
can he make a rock so big that he
himself can't lift it?"  Sounds like a
pointless waste of bandwidth.
Gimme back my Lego.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd
Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
I wonder what would happen if God came down today and said, "I don't really
exist.  I had you all fooled.  Have a nice day."

Would that be a lie?  Or, since it came from God Himself, would it be a
paradox?

why would God not be able to lie?

Personally, I think God could lie if he wanted to.

Are you saying that there's something that that said God cannot do???

Well, I thimk we established a few months back that God can make Himself
reappear after making Himself permanently disappear beyond His abilities to
make Himself reappear.  Because, since He can do anything, He could make
Himself disappear so strongly that he couldn't reappear or restore Himself
from tape backup.

--Todd