 Off-Topic / Debate / 4547
4546  |  4548
Subject:
Is God a He, a She, or an It? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 01:33:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
To answer your first question, Christians refer to God as "He" and "Father"
because that's how Jesus referred to Him. Since we believe that Jesus is the
Son of God, then it is natural to expect Him to know the correct way to
address God. I have never thought of referring to God as "it", nor whether it
would be insulting or not, but the fact is that Jesus refers to God as "He",
so we do to.

OK, so it's a very long-established convention to use He and nothing else.
Got it!

Recent referral to God as "She" (I got the capital "S" this time ;-) is
nothing more than political correctness gone wrong. I stand by my statement
that nowhere in the Bible does it refer to God as "She", and I'll address
Dan's statement about this following his post.

Ya, this reminds me of back in the late 80's when it was popular among
certain groups not to acknowledge that the word "woman" (or "women") contained
the sub-word "man" (or "men").  Thus someone came up with the word "womyn" to
dissociate women from men (or for some purpose along those lines).

Kinda makes me wonder what would happen if people started calling generic
bricks "brycks."  :-)

For your second question, I think it would be equally insulting, as Jesus
has already told us how we should address God. To do otherwise is to say "I
think Jesus was wrong", which for a Christian is fundamentally against
Christianity.

OK, makes sense now, thanks!

--Todd