 Off-Topic / Debate / 4546
Re: Eastern vs. Western religions (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 01:31:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Markus Wolf writes:
I honestly know little to nothing about eastern religions.

Well, from what I know of Eastern religions, they've always made more sense
to me than Western religions.  (I'm thinking Zen Buddhism vs. Christianity
in particular here.)

But I figure,
if there's no god to be accountible to, it doesn't matter if you believe in
it or not.  It might be a nice little "this is good, this is bad" system • that
might have it's pluses and minuses.  Who cares.  Anyone can make up a pretty
good system of morals based on past experiences.

IMHO, holding oneself accountable to a deity is to ignore the one who is
truly accountable.  IMHO, only people can forgive other people for their
sins -- no deity can do that, IMHO.

And my beanie little brain fluctuates in a different manner.  I think since
people's understanding is so limited, especially of each other, they can't
possibly know the heart of the one they're forgiving.  We can rationalize that
someone with poor backgrounds, chemical inbalances, etc, etc, couldn't help
themselves.  But some behaviour is just plain vile.  Some people frankly don't
deserve forgiveness and I'm not capable in myself of forgiving them.  I would
personally vote for rapists getting castrated.  I know that's not very lovey-
spiritual.  I hate when the innocent are violated.  And yet God sees fit to
forgive whomever will come.
    I really don't understand what you mean by your initial statement.  It
sounds really mystical though.  I'm impressed.  :O)

Markus

--Todd