 Off-Topic / Debate / 4575
Re: Is God a He, a She, or an It? (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 05:34:53 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
To answer your first question, Christians refer to God as "He" and "Father"
because that's how Jesus referred to Him. Since we believe that Jesus is the
Son of God, then it is natural to expect Him to know the correct way to
address God. I have never thought of referring to God as "it", nor whether it
would be insulting or not, but the fact is that Jesus refers to God as "He",
so we do to.

OK, so it's a very long-established convention to use He and nothing else.
Got it!

No, it isn't. You're taking Peter's word that the translation he read
(and views as the literal revealed truth) has the pronoun gender right.
Not every church that's christian uses "he"

What parts of the bible are correct historical record and what parts are
instructional allegory is very much an open question(1), except to
fundamentalists and others of closed mind. Peter can call his god by
whatever name he likes but he's reaching when he says that it *has* to
be that way.

1 - again, see the last big thread on this, the christians admitted that
the accounts of the death of Judas, just to pick a new testament
example, conflicted if you took them literally. Even contemporaneous
eyewitness accounts of minor events have conflicts. Don't get me started
on the old testament which is in large part handed down oral tradition.
Great literature, perhaps. Literally accurate? Not on your life.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!