 Off-Topic / Debate / 4600
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:32:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
That's not at all what those verses say.

[big snip]

Bill, I'm afraid that we'll simply have to agree to disagree.  After reading
all of them, I can't see how any of the references you pointed me to support
your side -- or even fail to support mine.

That's fine, I was just presenting an alternative view point.

And as for entering a civil discussion with you, I've decided to forget it.
You certainly are well-versed with passages from the Bible, and this has made
for an interesting scripture chase.  However, you've also made enough pretty
wide generalizations about people who don't agree with you, to convince me
that you are, in your eyes, never wrong.

That's the point of wide generalizations - they're "generally" correct.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't think I've been rude or uncivil at all. I
also haven't claimed that I'm always right, I've merely pointed out several
references that seem to me to be pretty straight forward in their wording. I
haven't haggled over the meaning of the word "is" or any other word. I haven't
even offered "opinions" on any controversial passages.

You've disagreed with some of my statemens and I have disagreed with some of
yours. What's the difference? I have supported mine and you have supported
yours. If you disagree, that's just yofi and beseder (great and ok/fine).

Your words: "[Disagreement] usually comes from having preconceived ideas or
from a lack of drawing conclusions until processing all of the facts.  Too
many christians make judgements based on a few passages without considering
their impact on other truths.  Some just want to manipulate behavior.  Some
are frustrated at their own inability to control their own behavior that they
try to control others which is far easier."

The usage of the word "usually" is significant to the statement. Besides, I
didn't say "Thus saith the Lord" or anything. Those comments were definitely
opinion, although mostly evaluations of _my own_ progression as a student of
the bible. They were not directed at anyone in particular and were not even
used in response to anything you had said.

Rather than trying to find out which of these categories you cubbyhole me
into, I will withdraw from discussing this with you.

I'm sure that in dealing with so called christians you have encountered strong
opposition to the fact that you are a Mormon, right? I haven't tried to label
you or put you in a box of my choice like that. I don't agree with that at all.
One of the first things people ask you when they find out that you are a
christian (of any stripe) is "what church do you go to" precisely because they
want to pre-label you and say "oh, you're one of those". I don't answer that
question directly, because I don't subscribe to any particular group's beliefs.
I think matters of belief should be handled like the Bereans who checked things
out for themselves and didn't take even Paul's word for anything. I routinely
read books from opposing view points precisely because I know I may be wrong
about potentially anything, and have ammended my beliefs dramatically on many
matters. I don't think there's anything wrong with possessing and sharing a
degree of knowledge about the bible. I also don't think it wrong to be
confident in ones beliefs. Lindsay blew me out of the water in matters of
science and with decisiveness, but I wasn't offended by that. I don't ascribe
my ideas to myself, I don't have an emotional attachment to them in the sense
that I don't feel rejected if my ideas are rejected. They are not personal.
Obviously, I believe they are right or I wouldn't hold to them. But I don't
claim them as originating with me. I believe the bible to be clear about many
issues, and yes, I think disagreement has to do with the things I mentioned
above and alot more. That's why I make a habit of not commenting on things that
I'm not sure about. I must admit that I engaged Lindsay in matters of science
on purpose, that's why I pulled out all the old cliches. I must say he exceeded
my expectations in his responses, but that's exactly what I wanted. I tried the
same thing in the "it's quiet in here" thread last week, but there were no
takers. It's my college substitute for now. Works for me.

Cheers,
- jsproat

I hope there's no ill will.

(Cheers) Are you British, by the way?