 Off-Topic / Debate / 4624
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 05:30:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Markus Wolf writes:
It's patient and kind and doesn't envy or boast, it always protects, always
trusts.

I think this is an interesting thing for you to say.  If memory serves, you
are paraphrasing Paul (1 Corinthians 13? Except in King James it says
"charity" instead of "love").  The difference is that Paul was talking about
God's love for humanity and you are talking about love between humans, right?
Catholics, in particular, like to make this mistake at almost every wedding.
This always strikes me as an amusing blunder...sorry, but there it is.

That's why people who rejected God of any sort in the sixties and seventies
have now embraced New Age religions.  They wanted to shake off that God who
held them to strict morals (sexual purity and the like) but couldn't face the
emptiness in everything is meaningless," so they recycled some Hinduism and
created a spiritual plane that makes them more comfortable.

In my opinion, that last part is utter nonsense.

I happen to think of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam as "new age" religions --
a new age of patriarchal/dominator cultures that followed the ancient days of
simple earth, nature, sun, and moon worship.  I'll take my "old time" religion
any day over any of the previous choices.  As to the issue of actual belief --
well, no I don't actually believe in the goddess or the horned god either.
But they are aesthetically pleasing to me, so what the heck...

Just because I rely as much as possible upon tangible/understandable phenomena
doesn't mean that I lack spirituality altogether though -- nothing in science
yet explains why life occurs at all.  There is "wiggle room" for wonder.  I
just choose not to wonder about stuff that is being essentially revealed
through science.

And as to "shaking off that god holding me to a strick moral(i.e. sexual)
standard," well -- who really cares?  What god?  Ooops, he seems to have
rolled off my back and out the door...looks like he's going over to your place
where he seems more welcome.

But, why should god care where I put my Willy? I mean really, why should s/he?
Really, you Christians have to get your minds out of everyone else's bedrooms -
- is this the sin of envy?  I have the strange idea that nature doesn't give a
hoot where I plant my seed...

If not a god, you'll worship your job, your wife, science, whatever.

Now that makes sense.  I like creating ritual around the things and people
around me.  I like the idea of worshipping the archetypal feminine in women,
and finding the godhead exploding out of myself.  Wooohooo!

Look!  There's the god of the threshold!  And the one that inhabits trees!
And there is that icky god that lives under rocks! And the one that...

...actually, all of these god/ideas live in my head.

;)

But we're all seeking a Saviour, because there really is one to be found.

This falls flat for me.  Unless you mean something like finding enlightenment
in oneself -- seeking mental peace and content.  An external god makes no
sense to me aesthetically -- certainly not one who cares about something as
silly as my sex life.  I mean, why does he seek the mote in my eye when he has
a beam sticking out of his own? I can tell you, I have some real consumer
complaints I'd like to call to his attention.

Does that make sense?

No, not a lot of it.  Not to me, anyway...

-- Richard