 Off-Topic / Debate / 4656
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 04:50:12 GMT

I think this is an interesting thing for you to say.  If memory serves, you
are paraphrasing Paul (1 Corinthians 13? Except in King James it says
"charity" instead of "love").  The difference is that Paul was talking about
God's love for humanity and you are talking about love between humans, right?
Catholics, in particular, like to make this mistake at almost every wedding.
This always strikes me as an amusing blunder...sorry, but there it is.

Well, my friend,, you got the right passage but you better re-read it.  My
paraphrase (actually my best recollection from the New International version)
is not merely God's love for humanity.  But you are correct that love in it's
purest form does essentially come from God.  Paul was talking about the
meaningless of his spiritual gifts if he didn't have love, then set out to
explain what love is.  I'm glad the catholics still read the book in context.

And as to "shaking off that god holding me to a strick moral(i.e. sexual)
standard," well -- who really cares?  What god?  Ooops, he seems to have
rolled off my back and out the door...looks like he's going over to your place
where he seems more welcome.

I can see I've struck a nerve with this issue.  Your not as cold and
unemotional as you appeared...

But, why should god care where I put my Willy? I mean really, why should s/he?
Really, you Christians have to get your minds out of everyone else's • bedrooms -
- is this the sin of envy?  I have the strange idea that nature doesn't give a
hoot where I plant my seed...

   You really stretched this sex thing way out of proportion.  I'm sorry I
touched such a sore spot.  My God cares about even the littlest sparrow that
falls.  And I think it's an honor to save myself for the one woman I'm going
to commit my life to.  Virginity is something you can only give to one person
in your life.  Sex is one of the most beautiful expressions God invented, I
don't want to cheapen it.  To me it's like expensive, valuable china for
someone special.  Is it like a paper plate to you?

If not a god, you'll worship your job, your wife, science, whatever.

Now that makes sense.  I like creating ritual around the things and people
around me.  I like the idea of worshipping the archetypal feminine in women,
and finding the godhead exploding out of myself.  Wooohooo!

Again, our definitions differ.  Worship for me is not about "ritual."  I'm not
going through a bunch of steps to pacify some Volcano God.  Maybe the reason
you despise your image of my God is because your view of religion is so dry
and crusty.  Have you ever been so in love with someone that you would do
anything for them?  That's kind of what my relationship is with God.  Or at
least, in my ideal.

This falls flat for me.  Unless you mean something like finding enlightenment
in oneself -- seeking mental peace and content.  An external god makes no
sense to me aesthetically -- certainly not one who cares about something as
silly as my sex life.  I mean, why does he seek the mote in my eye when he has
a beam sticking out of his own? I can tell you, I have some real consumer
complaints I'd like to call to his attention.

   Again, your sex life isn't silly.  That's an area in your life that God
wants to fulfill.  Lives have been destroyed out of an unfulfilling or
distorted sex life.  God's a big God and can handle your "consumer
complaints."  He handles mine all the time (most of the time though, I'm my
worst enemy).
    I'm afraid you've taken what I've said about the sixties/seventies culture
very personal.  I'm really not out to condemn your lifestyle.  It's not my
job, and God's not looking for that either.  I've got my own issues.  If I can
return to my original point, I believe that you are worth more than the
chemicals that make up your body.  Your heart's desires aren't just subjective
pipe dreams with zero value.  We lack contentment because God's dreams and
plans for us are better "than we can ask or think."  You reach out to fulfill
that because God has put it in you to reach higher.
    I just want to show you a direction in which you might want to reach. :O)

Markus