 Off-Topic / Debate / 4626
Re: Is God gay? (was Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 06:53:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:
Peter Calloway wrote:
Is it possible to be Christian and gay? I believe so. Anyone can be a
Christian. The prereq is to accept Jesus as your saviour (after  careful,
exhaustive research for the benefit of Larry), and to model your life on what
he taught. What he taught about homosexuality, amongst other things, is the
clincher here. Despite the rather graphic punishment God imposed on Sodom and
Gamorrah, Jesus taught that sexual impropriety in any form is wrong. I think
this is a pretty good teaching, and not just because "God said so".

I think the question should be "Is it possible to be Christian and continue
to be gay and think there is nothing wrong with it". The answer to that,
based on what I have researched, is no. Just like it is not possible to be
Christian and continue to sin in any regard and think there is nothing wrong
with it. If I cop any flak over that I'll just give up and go play with my
LEGO nativity set.

I'm not Christain, but I am gay, and my daughter is Christian, so I've
done some digging on this to combat the stuff she was getting from her
church which had her really worried about *me*. Without getting into a
long rigamarole, there are many gay men and women who are christian and
do not believe that to be gay or to "indulge in homosexual activity" is
sinful. There are alternative interpretations to all the usual biblical
references put forward by the "gay is sinful" crowd.

Kevin

Before I start, I'd like to say that there is no "super-bad" sin. All sin is
considered equal in the eyes of God (except perhaps blasphemy against the Holy
Spirit. Matthew 12:31. Not sure how that one works). Many people, Christians
included, do tend to get caught up in sexual sin as if it is somehow worse
than any other sin. This is more voyeurism than anything else. "Gay is sinful"
just like "lying is sinful" just like "stealing is sinful" just like ......

Can you point me towards these alternative interpretations? I'd like to see
these interpretation of the following verses;
Leviticus 18:22
1 Corinthians 6:9,13
1 Timothy 1:10
Matthew 15:19
Mark 7:21
1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
1 Corinthians 10:8
Romans 13:13
Deuteronomy 22:5
Jude 7
Hebrews 13:4
Ephesians 5:13

Just a selection of the usual Biblical references. Maybe I'm just being
fundamentally inflexible, but I can't see how these people can believe this,
given that the Bible is clear on this issue.

Pete Callaway