 Off-Topic / Debate / 4592
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 08:11:48 GMT

Peter Callaway wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
Following Jesus IS a prereq for being a Christian. Jesus
called God "Father" and "He", so you draw your own conclusions.

Jesus never called God She as far as we know.  He never drove a car either.
Does that mean that just because He didn't do it that we can't do it (along
with the stuff that He did do) too?

I think this is getting a tad silly. The focus isn't on what Jesus didn't
do. It's on what he did do. He did call God "Father" and "He", and therefore
we (Christians) do too.

Oh stop. Give up will you?

Why should I? This is something I strongly believe in which is being
challenged in a civil discussion, so lugnet.off-topic.debate T&C's
notwithstanding, I'm entitled to speak.

You're bored with it? Don't read it.

You don't know for sure what Jesus did or didn't do or what he did or
didn't say. You can only take the word of people dead almost 2000 years
now, who recorded things in languages many translations removed from the
one you're referring to.

Not true, at Bible college language classes in Greek and Hebrew use copies of
the original texts and translate them directly. So Greek-English and Hebrew-
English is not "many translations removed".

And once again, the accounts of Jesus' life in the four gospels are eyewitness
accounts (except for Luke, although he wrote on behalf of eyewitnesses because
he was educated - a Doctor I think - and could write), and are just as
credible as any other eyewitness account of any historical event in .... well,
history. Just because it involves something YOU don't or won't believe doesn't
make it any less credible.

You can't even be sure he lived, you've just decided to believe it.

There is actually more documented proof of the existence of Jesus than Julius
Caesar. You gonna tell me that Julius Caesar never existed?

Just like you decided to believe in his godhood. That's fine, I'm happy for
you, but stop trying to speak authoritatively, will you? It's so tiresome.

What I find tiresome is a post like this which rubbishes (without evidence) a
point of view that is quite close to my heart. I'm entitled to my opinion, and
may speak on it how ever authoritively I feel I can justify. If you don't like
it, either don't "listen", or if you feel you must say something, say
something sensible, and rebutt with evidence, not just a foot-stamping "Oh,
stop it".

"god said it. I believe it. That settles it. (I'm gullible)"

For your information, Larry, I have spent a great deal of my life since I was
about 14 researching and proving to myself that what I believe in is actually
worth believing in. And I'm not done yet. Thousands of years of history can't
be summed up into a warm fuzzy feeling.

The parenthetical PS is what I always think to myself on seeing that
bumpersticker.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!