 Off-Topic / Debate / 4614
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 03:37:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Markus Wolf writes:

  I honestly know little to nothing about eastern religions.  But I figure,
if there's no god to be accountible to, it doesn't matter if you believe in • it
or not.

I think the point of those religions is that you believe in it because it's
true, not because you are afraid of your god.

Ben Roller

    Point well taken.  How do you base what you believe is true?  On what fits
your current lifestyle best?  I met a woman once who told me she believed in
reincarnation just because she felt like it.  She was a "Good Lutheran." (her
words)  She found it extremely funny.  Nothing against lutherans, I just use
her as an example of a person who knows so little about her own faith, or
maybe cares so little, that she's gambling her soul on whimsy.
    What I was saying, Ben, is that if there really is a God, He would help a
real truth seeker find the truth.  If those eastern religions are true, you've
got a tougher assignment.  No personal help from above. You can examine the
results of those religions, study the history of it's TRUE believers, look
closely at the lives of those who profess it (and be prepared for some cover
ups.  We're all hypocrites in that we all want others to think of us better
than we really are).  But you're still working based on your limited capacity
to understand.  At the end, you've probably failed because there's been
historically enough religions to take a couple lifetimes.
    In my teenage years I remember praying, "God, if there really is a god,
whoever you are, I'm looking for you.  Help me find you."  If there is no god,
then that whole prayer was a waste of time.  And if the true god was evil or
apathetic to my prayers, he would either spank me or ignore me.  But if He's a
God of Love, and He is (if you can believe me), then He would at least throw
me in the right direction.  I'm not afraid of Him, other than an incredible
sense of awe and respect.
    In the words of Ralphie, "I triple dog dare you" to pray the same thing.