 Off-Topic / Debate / 4555
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 03:03:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:
To answer your first question, Christians refer to God as "He" and "Father"
  I don't mean to beat a dead horse on this issue, but I would insist that it
is "some Christians" or "most Christians" that refer to God this way.  Pete
implies that ALL do, and that is just not the case.  Calling God a male is not
a prereq for being a Christian.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
To a theist, would someone referring to God as It (rather than He) be
considered insulting, or would it be flattering since it acknowledged that
God is more than human and doesn't necessarily need a gender?

I think that most people I've talked to think of It as referring to objects and
feel that it's not appropriate for God.  It would be a lot easier if English
had a non-objectifing neutral gender pronoun, as I think a lot of people would
use that.  God says "We" in Genesis, so that suggests more than just a plain
Him or Her.

Ben Roller