 Off-Topic / Debate / 4532
4531  |  4533
Subject:
Which of the Ten Commandments are Libertarian? (was: Re: Mormon bashing again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 00:00:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
[...]
1 - Thou shalt have no other God's before me.
2 - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
3 - Thou shall not take the name of the Lord Thy God in vain.
4 - Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5 - Honor thy Father and thy Mother.
6 - Thou shalt not kill.
7 - Thou shall not commit adultry.
8 - Thou shall not steal.
9 - Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10 - Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's house.

Numbers 1-4 are definitely NOT universal, at least not in my book. In fact
I would say that only 8-10 are universal. One problem is that they are too
simplistic, what is meant by "do not kill"? Some religions extend this idea
to ALL creatures. I don't know if anyone extends it to plants. Now "do not
kill" is based on the principles which underlay Libertarian thought, that
each individual has inalienable rights, especially to the property of his
body and health.

Hmm, hmm.  A tangent...  If the Ten Commandments had been written by a
Libertarian instead of a Christian, I wonder how different they would look?
Would there still be 10?  Or only 5?  Or would there be 15?

Commandments 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 strike me as being rather non-Libertarian
(from what I understand about Libertarianism).  Not sure about 5, but 5 is
probably a lot like 7 -- someone's own private business and just a wise
recommendation rather than something proscribed.

--Todd