 Off-Topic / Debate / 4531
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 23:26:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
[...]
Anyway, it's time to wrap up this essay. I think there is a time to
label something a meme, but only when you want to emphasize its
propogation and nothing deeper.

Ya, that's what I meant earlier when I mentioned that religions were memes.
I'm always curious how religions manage to propagate themselves.  Thus, it
doesn't seem surprising to me that a religion with a first commandment in
which its deity disavows the existence of other deities would end up being
a dominant player in the religions market.

--Todd

I think the strategy is also to announce the desirable features of Messiah 2.0
and then not actually ship it. When others announce their version of Messiah,
threaten them.

Of course, a significant portion of the user base hasn't even "upgraded" to
Messiah 1.0 yet, preferring the Law and Prophets shell.

Propogate is one of those words I've never learned to spell.