 Off-Topic / Debate / 4530
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 23:15:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
A second question -- which is more insulting:  She or It?  That is, is it
worse for God to be female than to be genderless?

Colleen McCullough, who has read thousands of classical sources, writes
invocations in her historical fiction that start, "Jupiter Optimus Maximus, of
whatever name you prefer, of whichever sex you prefer..."

I've not yet encountered this in the literature, but I have read in Livy reports
of people discomfited by not knowing for sure if they had got the deity's
details down right. Roman superstition borders on the humorous.