 Administrative / General / 938
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:15:30 GMT

sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:

[...]
All subscribtions will (if possible) be moved automagically to both lists
on the Lugnet server.

Mailing list subscriptions per se can be automagically moved if someone can
come up with an address list.  It will be best to have the address list in
place first before the new newsgroup is created, so that the Terms of Use can
be mailed out to everyone as part of the normal ng mailings (it's always
article #2 when a new lugnet newsgroup is created).

What can't be automagically done is giving everyone the automatic ability to
post.  Anyone who is new to the lugnet.* newsgroups and who doesn't want to
lurk-only will still have to do the news-posting setup:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

Of course, old-timers to the groups here won't have to do anything -- they'll
already be all set.

[...]
Can/should we transfer the L-CAD archives to the newsgroups?

Can on this end, yes.  Someone would just need to come up with all the messages
in their original SMTP format (all the headers preserved) and there would need
to be explicit permission from the mailing-list owner to republish, index, etc.
all of the messages.

Note: any binary or MIME postings would be lost.

--Todd