 Administrative / General / 872
Re: Informal CFD: robotics competition newsgroup(s)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:24:59 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

Help me understand how the origin of messages in a group is pertinent to
sub-grouping under a group?  If you access a group using an NNTP newsreader,
then it's a newsgroup to you.  If you access a group via SMTP e-mail, then
it's a mailing list to you.  When you're reading and interacting with people
in a group, why does it matter where the messages originated?

It gets back to expectations of behavior (both people and machines).  As
a mail-list subsriber, I'd expect the list to behave one way.  As an ng
reader, I'd have different expectations.

If Chris Atlas had posted to lugnet.anything-else, I doubt you would
have gotten any complaints.

So, since the 'members' of the ng have different expectations of/from
the lugnet.robotics, this ng should be handled somewhat differently.
Again, this is just my opinion.  I've never admined an NNTP.

I grok what you're saying, almost.  It's the conclusion that I have trouble
making the quantum-leap to.  :)  OK, so the robotics ng has a different
character or flavor or group-behavior than other groups...I grok that.  How
does it follow that the robotics ng should permanently be a leaf node of the
ng-tree and never have child nodes?

Maybe another example will help pin it down -- how do you feel about the
ba-lego@cinnamon.com mailing list gatewayed with lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf?
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf has sub-groups of .con, .oak, and .oak.  Messages sent
to ba-lego@cinnamon.com aren't echoed into the subgroups of
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf any more than messages to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf are...

True. I feel kinda the same way, but not strongly enough to suggest you
re-arrange anything.

I really wanna understand your rationale on this.  Since you bring it up
<smile>, how -would- you suggest, hypothetically speaking, that the .sf
thingie be rearranged?  Some sort of magic splitting/filtering/echoing/
propagating into the sub-groups?  Or having the mailing list gatewayed with
a totally separate part of the ng tree?  Or as lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.ba-lego?
I just wanna be able to grok where you're coming from on leaning away from
subgroups beneath mailing-list-connect ng's...

[...]
Don't those go hand-in-hand?  If not, at least transitively, right?  :)
Post-mortem discussions of get-togethers certainly go with discussion &
planning, and part of post-mortem discussions are going to be refinements
and questions and all that.

You could say I was thinking of lugnet.events.games.

The stuff that wouldn't belong is technical discussions on specific RPG
rules between people who are never going to get together.

On-topic: "We're going to have a game-day using the 'Wooden Ships and
Plastic Men'[1] rules in Chicago![2]"

Off-topic: "I've updated my XYZ rules.  It's at ABC.com.  What do you
think?"

Steve
[1] Or is that the other way around?
[2] See how easily this turns into fodder for lugnet.loc?

Aw heck, in that case, it'd make sense to crosspost to the games group and
the Chicago group, with followups set to one or the other.  :)

--Todd