 Administrative / General / 874
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:59:11 GMT

lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

[...]
If so, I would have to agree that a J.R.P. is more likely to subscribe and
post doofy things to a CAD-related newsgroup than to subscribe and post
doofy things to a semi-hidden CAD-related mailing list.
[...]
[...] In any case, it's just as easy
(if not easier) for anyone to get on a mailing list than to subscribe to a
newsgroup on a special newsgroup server (assuming first-time subscription).
[...]

Har!  Re-reading what I just posted, there are a couple seemingly
contradictory statements there...  Actually, they're not contradictory --
they're talking about two different types of people.

The first one is suggesting that someone who's already up to speed on the
multiple-newsgroup thing here is likely to have an easier time accidentally
mucking around in a newsgroup than accidentally finding and subscribing to a
mailing list and mucking around there.

The second one is suggesting that someone who's -not- already up to speed on
the multiple-newsgroup thing (a TLG employee or a newbie or a non-die-hard-
fan, perhaps) may actually be likely to have an easier time getting on a
mailing list than onto a newsgroup.

--Todd