 Administrative / General / 845
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 10:40:41 GMT

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:27:37 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) writes:

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:58:18 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

It's also difficult to cross-post something -- the message I sent to L-CAD
yesterday about "Chrome" vs. "Silver," I wanted to cross-post between L-CAD
and lugnet.cad, but since they're so far apart physically, I worried about
creating two threads.  (BTW, did that message ever show up on the L-CAD
list?  I didn't see it echoed back to me on the list.)

Yes, it came up on the list.  Sorry to not reply, but I didn't know what to
say.   To busy arguing other points.  :-/

Aha, so it did get through.  OK.  Question then -- is it normal on that list
for sent-messages not to be echoed back to the sender?  Or is it weird that
I didn't see my own posted message?

Yes, it is the normal default for messages to not be sent back to the sender.
There are a couple of listserv commands to alter that:

"
You  can also tell LISTSERV how  you want it
to confirm the  receipt of messages you  send to the list. If  you do not
trust the system, send a "SET L-CAD REPRO" command and LISTSERV will send
you a copy of your own messages, so that you can see that the message was
distributed and  did not get  damaged on the way.  After a while  you may
find that this is getting annoying,  especially if your mail program does
not tell you  that the message is  from you when it informs  you that new
mail  has arrived  from L-CAD.  If  you send  a "SET  L-CAD ACK  NOREPRO"
command, LISTSERV  will mail you  a short acknowledgement  instead, which
will look  different in your  mailbox directory. With most  mail programs
you will  know immediately that this  is an acknowledgement you  can read
later. Finally,  you can turn  off acknowledgements completely  with "SET
L-CAD NOACK NOREPRO".
"

-- Terry K --