 Administrative / General / 905
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:27:45 GMT

"Linc Smith" <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> writes:

[...]

I don't dispute that this happens, but if this you subscribe to this
argument then  you should agree that it can just as easily go the other way;
un-foreseen disadvantages.  "Harmless and effective, DDT will eliminate
Malaria as a worldwide epidemic" 1960's

Yup -- works both ways!  Trick is to identify as much good & bad up front as
reasonably possible.

[...]

Do you see the problem there being too much off-topic fluff or too many
dissimilar sub-topics?  I see some of both...mostly the latter...do you see
other things that make it unpleasant to wade through?

Ahhh, hard to say.  If there were *.sensors, *.LegOS, *.walkers, ect
divisions within robotics, I would subscribe to all of them.  Sure I don't
understand LegOS all that well, but someone is going to post a "How to work
with LegOS on a Win95 Machine" just like has been done with Linus, and I
don't want to miss it. And, I learn by NG osmosis!  However, I don't think I
would read the competition groups that much if they were created.  I would
subscribe, but reading would be dependant on mood and time (do I really want
to read this in case there is some tid-bit that will apply to my interests?)

My favorite thing about separate ng's is the mood & time thing -- plow through
certain groups quickly, then go back and read other ones as time or mood
permits...  For me, the groups here are once a day for most, and several times
a day for others.

BTW, it's interesting that you mention *.LegOS in the list above...  Egad,
there have been more than 300 posts about LegOS!  Markus Noga (author of LegOS)
says he is definitely interested in having a dedicated group for LegOS...and
anything that helps him focus is more than welcome.  I think, within 2 weeks
there will be 3 or 4 subgroups of the .robotics group (Robot Arena, NQC, and
LegOS).  Just need to come up with a systematic naming scheme.

The division of robotics might bring back the marginal readers (on Lugnet)
who what to see announcements of bots, but not necessarily ASCII schematics.

Let's take this subject up on a new thread.  :)

My biggest complaint is the fluff, and the improper use of threads.  Threads
that change topics repeatedly but don't start a new thread (kinda similar to
this one... oops :) and posts that pop up as new threads when they should
have been left in the original thread.  Some of this is education.  I would
think that the proper procedure for doing a post with the subject heading
"topic A (was topic B)" is to make it a new thread... not leave it in the
same thread that it originated.  Otherwise whats the point. I don't know...
like a lot of others.

Hopefully a FAQ will eventually help a lot of this too -- it seems like a lot
of the fluff is questions...

It's never too late to create sub-groups, BTW -- and the interest in doing
such is growing slowly but surely.

This should be thought about carefully.  I don't need much splitting... but
others may want more or less.  How do you decide?  You have to look at
percentages, and decide if the people that read this one will likely read
this one too... don't split it (e.g.. *.arena.combat and *.arena.task -- for
the majority of cases, if they are interested in one, chances are they will
be interested in the other.  What's a majority, and how do you find it? Who
the hell knows!

That's why I don't trust majorities...  Besides, in my mind, even (say) a 5% or
10% minority who strongly desire a special/focused/dedicated group for a
serious project should get one -- even if the other 90% is opposed -- so that
they don't have to go through the hassle (and complete separation) of setting
up a brand new mailing list, which is what they'd go do if they wanted a
focused discussion area badly enough.

The idea here with an "all-LEGO all-the-time" server is to keep LEGO things
united so that people don't have to break away when they want some room to
breathe.  On Usenet you can't do that, because it's super-tough to make a new
non-alt group for specialty topics.  That's why there are so many mailing lists
in the world, IMO.

I think what really makes splitting attractive to me is, if you say on the
Robotics mg/ng "All right everybody, NO area posts here!  Arena posts should
be made at Lugnet.Robotics.Arena, where there is a excellent dedicated group
for just this topic".  ml only users that are participating in arena are
presumably going to make that quantum leap and now read Lugnet.  Once they
sign in (which is for some inconceivable (to me) reason is soooooooo
hindering) they have made the big step.  Once here their posts will hit the
right groups.

There is still the problem that I mentioned before --  that of ng/ml
separation... is it going to happen and if so how.  If it is going to
happen, then perhaps the sooner the better.  But to be honest I would
immediately join the ml if I couldn't get it here.  And the ml is not moving
voluntarily over to the ng.  I won't ditch the ml until it gets really bad
(hmmm where has this happened before :).  This touches on the big problem I
wrote about in the last post (you are digesting it). As it stands now there
is nowhere to move to.

I don't think it makes any sense to separate the ng/ml link (not that you're
suggesting ever dissolving it) -- I think that's there to stay for a long long
time, but as you say two paragraphs up, I agree that things will get less
cluttery over time with carefully chosen sub-groups.

[...]

In general, when collecting opinions, it's sometimes frustratingly
difficult to get responses other than, "Well, I kinda lean toward this,
but the other thing is OK with me too; I'll go along with whatever the
group decides."  Especially when opinions are collected all at once rather
than focused one-on-one.

I believe this is an artifact of the medium (newsgroup).  If you have an
opinion and state it, every one sees it and you can feel obligated to defend
it if asked.  If you lean to one side on some issue, but not enough to make
you an advocate, by being wishy-washing you don't have to put the effort
into defending your position... you have none.  E.g.. I think less people
would vote in a municipal election if after marking your ballot, you had to
hold it up to a crowd who could then debate your decision to support the
person you did.  One-on-one debate is less effort and might be less
daunting, so you are willing to state more admittedly your true feelings,
even if they are contrary to the interviewer's.  This talks to the statement
below.

Sounds like a great analysis!

I think people often put dampers on their enthusiam or skepticism when
making public statements.  I think if you took confidential surveys, the
to get people to answer how they truly feel about something independent
of everyone else -- to separate how they feel from how they think the group
feels.  Nobody wants to be a party-pooper, right?

I tried to be one, but damn it! The server started to choke. ;)

Hey, at least you've stuck to your guns (mostly) and defended your position!
:)

--Todd