 Administrative / General / 849
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 02:42:08 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

[...]
Are you in favor of gatewaying the l-cad@listserv.uh.edu mailing list with
the lugnet.cad newsgroup or a subgroup of it?  (This capability is 99.9%
already set up -- it just needs group approval and a switch thrown at each
end to make it a reality.)

I'd be for it, as long as it wasn't tied directly to lugnet.cad.  Make a
new group, lugnet.cad.dev or lugnet.maillist.lcad, or something.

Steve,

You're much more in touch with people's feeling on this issue than I am.
I don't really understand the disadvantages...all I see are advantages...
But then again, I'm probably biased because I'm not a fan of e-mail for
threaded discussions.

Are there any clear advantages and disadvantages of such a linkage (in terms
of the current L-CAD participants and/or the larger online LEGO community)?

Are the issues purely technical, or partly socio-political as well?  I'm
sure that any technical hurdles are work-around-able with clever newsserver
customizations.

--Todd