 Administrative / General / 940
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:46:20 GMT

Todd Lehman (lehman@javanet.com) wrote:
sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:

[...]

Mailing list subscriptions per se can be automagically moved if someone can
come up with an address list.

The address list is available to anybody (execept for a few
anonymous subscriptions).

What can't be automagically done is giving everyone the
automatic ability to post.  Anyone who is new to the
lugnet.* newsgroups and who doesn't want to lurk-only will
still have to do the news-posting setup:

I had forgotten about that.

[...]

Can/should we transfer the L-CAD archives to the newsgroups?

Can on this end, yes.  Someone would just need to come up
with all the messages in their original SMTP format (all
the headers preserved)

I think I can manage that. A few messages may have been lost,
but I am pretty sure I have most of the L-CAD messages
archived all the way back to "day one".

and there would need to be explicit permission from the
mailing-list owner to republish, index, etc. all of the
messages.

This can probably be managed if we can agree to move the list.

Note: any binary or MIME postings would be lost.

We may loose a bit of information on this.

Play well,

Jacob

           --  E-mail: Jacob.Sparre.Andersen@risoe.dk  --
           --  Web...: <URL:http://hugin.risoe.dk/>    --