 Administrative / General / 889
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:30:56 GMT

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:14:28 GMT, "Linc Smith" <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca>
wrote:

When I think the advantages of a newsgroup over a mailing-list (or of the
advantages that a ng<->ml gateway brings), I think of things like:

  - Real threading

marginal in _this_ lists case (for me)

Depends on whether there's a parts-vote going on.  In the last several
days, it would be handy to see things in a thready manner.

  - Archiving, searching, and back-browsing

This would be a limited advantage, but most of the discussions on the list
are time sensitive.

Again, I went data-diving just last night (I had to dig up the BAT I
posted for creating MPD files).

I too am interested whether others find looking at email as well as news
groups frustrating. Although I don't find it frustrating, and I did not even
known that the Listserver chokes (until Steve mentioned it), I am only one
vote... there must be others who want to gateway the list to Lugnet.
People...comments?

Considering the listserver problems, I'm willing to move it to Lugnet,
J.R.P. be darned.

BTW, tying the ml to a ng won't solve the problems with the
messages-per-day limit.  If anything, it will increase that problem (for
mail-list subscribers).

This isn't the place to decide about piping L-CAD to lugnet.  It needs
to be discussed on L-CAD.

Steve