 Administrative / General / 866
Re: Informal CFD: robotics competition newsgroup(s)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:26:34 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

I could go either way.  I suppose that a lugnet.comp.* hierarchy could
expand someday, to cover various software packages and online stuff.

No, wait.  I changed my mind.  How much potential is there for
*computer-centered* discussion on lugnet?  This is lego we're talking
about.  If we're talking about online playing, that would be CAD or
events or something.  The computer is a tool, not an object of
discussion.

Good point.  If ever there is any .comp.* hierarchy, maybe it'll end up
being inside the .off-topic.* hierarchy.  Sure seems to be a lot of good
geeking going on lately there in terms of overclocking CPUs and video cards
and all that great stuff.

So I guess lugnet.robotics.nqc would be better.  Even
lugnet.robotics.lang.nqc, if you wanted to leave room for
lugnet.robotics.lang.hist^H^H^H^Hlogo.

I also wonder about things like legOS and RCXLib (RCX library for the Palm
Pilot) and RCXCC (RCX Control Center).

I'm still not thrilled about sub-grouping under lugnet.robotics, because
of its dual nature.  But that's just my opinion.  No underlying facts or
data.  Wait, here's one: the majority of l.r's content comes from the
mailing list.
[...]
Yes, because the mailing list is a separate entity.  Heck, the mailing
is the *main* entity.  In the other lugnet ng's, the mailing list can be
viewed as an echo of the newsgroup.  For lugnet.robotics, it's more like
the newsgroup is an echo of the mailing list.
[...]
An additional difference (not to beat on the point too much), 2 out of
every 3 messages comes from the independant mail-list server.

Help me understand how the origin of messages in a group is pertinent to
sub-grouping under a group?  If you access a group using an NNTP newsreader,
then it's a newsgroup to you.  If you access a group via SMTP e-mail, then
it's a mailing list to you.  When you're reading and interacting with people
in a group, why does it matter where the messages originated?

Maybe another example will help pin it down -- how do you feel about the
ba-lego@cinnamon.com mailing list gatewayed with lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf?
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf has sub-groups of .con, .oak, and .oak.  Messages sent
to ba-lego@cinnamon.com aren't echoed into the subgroups of
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf any more than messages to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf are...

Say, what about these--?

  lugnet.robotics.events
  lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena

Hey, I think I actually that!

Those sound good.

But a general-purpose lugnet.events hierarchy would be interesting, too.

Things like LEGO fests, tours, shopping excursions...?  (Unless what I'm
thinking of is more of a .soc.events than .events...?)

If there was a .gaming or .games hierarchy, and RPGs weren't a part of it,
I wonder what other types of games and competitions would go there besides
robotics competitions?  For example, I have difficulty imagining people
having Cyber Slam tournaments.  :-)

I meant that general discussion of RPGs wasn't what I meant when I
mentioned .games..  But discussion & planning for get-togethers to play
LEGO-based RPGs would be part of the charter.

Don't those go hand-in-hand?  If not, at least transitively, right?  :)
Post-mortem discussions of get-togethers certainly go with discussion &
planning, and part of post-mortem discussions are going to be refinements
and questions and all that.

--Todd