 Administrative / General / 885
Re: Informal CFD: robotics competition newsgroup(s)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 06:51:48 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

I really wanna understand your rationale on this.  Since you bring it up
<smile>, how -would- you suggest, hypothetically speaking, that the .sf
thingie be rearranged?  Some sort of magic splitting/filtering/echoing/
propagating into the sub-groups?  Or having the mailing list gatewayed with
a totally separate part of the ng tree?  Or as lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.ba-lego?
I just wanna be able to grok where you're coming from on leaning away from
subgroups beneath mailing-list-connect ng's...

Umm, I'd put all ng's with the flavor of being echoes of external
mailing-lists into a hierarchy of lugnet.mailing-echo.*

But:

(1) The whole point in the first place of linking ba-lego@cinnamon.com with
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf was to bring those two particular pre-existing groups
together.  If ba-lego@cinnamon.com was echoed over in a .mailing-echo.*
hierarchy, then the only advantage would be NNTP (news) over SMTP (e-mail),
and for a group with just a few messages a week, there's no gain there.

(2) The whole point of linking lego-robotics@crynwr.com with lugnet.robotics
was to bring those two particular pre-existing groups together as well.
Keep in mind, even though 2/3 of the postings to lugnet.robotics come from
the mailing-list side, there were already 250 messages there in
lugnet.robotics by the time the two groups were merged in early November.

Not to say that would make any substantial difference in anything.  It
just feels right to me.

I guess I just don't think of lugnet.robotics as an echo of the
lego-robotics@crynwr.com mailing list.  Things are linked in order to merge
two otherwise separate groups.

Ok, here's another related question:  What if lugnet.robotics were gatewayed
not only with lego-robotics@crynwr.com but also with a third independent
mailing list for robotics?  Then what?--How would you re-arrange that into a
.mailing-echo.* hierarchy?  :)

It's certainly not inconceivable that a ng could be gatewayed with N mailing
lists -- and it's trivial to set up of course...

--Todd