 Administrative / General / 894
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 06:59:00 GMT

Steve Bliss writes:
This is a very timely topic, since we managed to choke the list last
night.  Again.

Ahhhh, that explains the sudden silence there.

So the L-CAD listserv can't handle more than 50-100 messages per day?

No, it just has a volume governor.  Unfortunately, instead of just
pausing the messages for a day (or something), it requires human
intervention to get going again.

I just got a curious message back from the L-CAD list-server tonight...

  "The distribution of your message dated Thu, 21 Jan 1999 01:35:37 -0600
   with subject "Re: number for unknown part" has been postponed because
   the L-CAD list is held.  No action is required from you; your message
   will be reprocessed automatically once the list owner releases the list."

This must be the volume governor you were mentioning...?

Nobody can raise the volume governor to accept more articles per day?

I don't know.  It's running on the list-server at Doug Finney's alma
mater, unless it's been moved, and the mail is getting forwarded.

Hmm, yup -- looks like it's still running at Doug's alma mater -- the
rejection message says it's from the "L-Soft server at the University
of Houston (1.8d)."

Grepping back through some RTL archives from last September, it looks like
this is also what happened last fall when there was an outage that a lot of
people noticed.  I wonder how come the list hasn't been moved?  Bill Katz
offered several times to move the list to his majordomo server on
mrfws1.innovation.com.

--Todd