 Administrative / General / 868
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:19:31 GMT

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:35:03 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

Help me out a bit on that -- When you say "doesn't really need to be," do
you mean to suggest that those types of discussions are too esoteric for
here?

I think it's more like "we don't want the threads exposed to the world".
Of course, the major players are all there already -- you, Larry and
Mike.

"exposed" meaning "poisoned" or "corrupted" or "affected" or "known" or
"watched" or "commented on" or "muddied up"?  :)

More toward the end of the list, I believe.  Any readers are welcome to
jump in at this point with contradictory opinions.

If it means "known," what about lurking and/or participation from people
inside TLG?

Hmm.  TLG watchers?  Good or bad?  Hmm.

This is a very timely topic, since we managed to choke the list last
night.  Again.

Ahhhh, that explains the sudden silence there.

So the L-CAD listserv can't handle more than 50-100 messages per day?

No, it just has a volume governor.  Unfortunately, instead of just
pausing the messages for a day (or something), it requires human
intervention to get going again.

Nobody can raise the volume governor to accept more articles per day?

I don't know.  It's running on the list-server at Doug Finney's alma
mater, unless it's been moved, and the mail is getting forwarded.

Steve