 Administrative / General / 884
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 06:42:29 GMT

"Linc Smith" <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> writes:

[...]
If so, I would have to agree that a J.R.P. is more likely to subscribe and
post doofy things to a CAD-related newsgroup than to subscribe and post
doofy things to a semi-hidden CAD-related mailing list.

We don't have banner adds, but I wouldn't categorize LCAD as semi-hidden. :)

I meant relatively hidden with respect to the ng, once you know about the
ng's.  For example, I just took a browse through the ng looking for URLs and
found Jacob's and Laurentino's and Steve's page, among others...  Even
knowing that the LDraw nexus page was linked-to somewhere within one of
these pages, it took me several hops to find it.  I think I found it
simultaneously in two windows by going from Steve's homepage to his LDAO
page and then to the JJ-Memorial, and by going from Jacob's homepage to his
LEGO page and then back up to his JJ page and then into the "Resources for
LDraw" page.  I just about gave up after looking for L-CAD after clicking
about a dozen links & sub-links here:

   http://hugin.risoe.dk/JJ_Memorial/nexus.html

and then found it in the Q&A section:

   http://hugin.risoe.dk/JJ_Memorial/qna.html

Anyway, I kind of always got the feeling that the mailing list was designed
to be somewhat difficult to find -- not impossible, but maybe like a prize
for those who truly want to find it.  (Not sure why.)

Now, if you're starting out from a different angle -- not the J.R.P. angle
but the serious LDraw user -- then you're probably a lot more likely already
to have found it, because you've probably already read all of the stuff
there because of the learning curve and the worthwhile investment.

I would say that about 100% of the people that use LDraw have visited the
James Jessiman Memorial Central Nexus were the List is mentioned, and it is
in the LDraw FAQ (which is almost a necessary read for using the program).
This speaks to your comment (came after I started writing this) that

... someone who's -not- already up to speed on
the multiple-newsgroup thing (a TLG employee or a newbie or a non-die-hard-
fan, perhaps) may actually be likely to have an easier time getting on a
mailing list than onto a newsgroup.

This is true.  So a gateway is not going to improve circulation to this
subset of people (which I am not sure if that is the intended goal of a
gateway).

When I think the advantages of a newsgroup over a mailing-list (or of the
advantages that a ng<->ml gateway brings), I think of things like:

   - Real threading
   - Crossposting with followups
   - Archiving, searching, and back-browsing

Improving circulation is probably not a big issue in this case...although I
wonder how many people find it difficult to keep up by e-mail (that is, not
being able to make the choice between e-mail, news, and web) and how many
people find it frustrating when the listserver chokes.

[...]

What if it was impossible for J.R.P. to post there?  That is, what if read
permission for the group was on by default, but write permission (posting)
was off by default?  How much of the objections/concerns go away in that
scenario?

So a entrance test, requisite lurking period, a board of entrance? I would
have to hear more, but that sounds like a hornets nest.  As it stands now
there is no restriction to who joins the LCAD list.  There is simply an
interest threshold.

I was thinking of something very simple and straightforward, like anyone who
could post to L-CAD could post to the ng.  Or anyone who went to some web
page and said that they had interest in LDraw (and had read the FAQ and all
that) could post to the ng.  Something simple & straightforward.  But to the
purpose of the original question, I don't think the mechanics of it matter
much -- how it happens is just an implementation detail for later.  The real
question is, how much of the objections/concerns go away if there was some
reasonable barrier to posting (as there currently is to L-CAD)?

I just wanted to verify that we're on the same page with respect to TLG
being a non-issue in terms of a barrier to newsgroup-hood.

I don't think it is an issue since we know that at lest one member of the
Technic Futura group is subscribed, and the Software company (not directly
TLG) working On Creator has posted.

Cool...that's what I thought then.  Might've been a fear a year ago, but no
longer.

--Todd