 Administrative / General / 861
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:30:38 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

Are the issues purely technical, or partly socio-political as well?  I'm
sure that any technical hurdles are work-around-able with clever newsserver
customizations.

I don't think any of the issues are technical.  Actually, I'd like to
see a lot of the traffic from L-CAD move to lugnet.  But there's a lot
of other traffic that is more a private discussion among L-CAD'ers (like
hammering on whether to release a chrome or non-chromed antenna) that
doesn't really need to be on lugnet.

Help me out a bit on that -- When you say "doesn't really need to be," do
you mean to suggest that those types of discussions are too esoteric for
here?

Heh heh -- we've got a special newsgroup here now just for weekly
announcements of LEGO Shop-At-Home Service phone specials, and there's soon
going to be a newsgroup for Robot Arena and likely also one for Dave Baum's
NQC language.

Heck, nothing is too esoteric or fine-grained for this place.  As long as it
has anything at all to do with LEGO, and there are people who want to talk
about it, there's a welcome mat.

BTW, I found that chrome/nochrome discussion very interesting to follow --
it touches on databasing and data modeling and taxonomy and other
interestingly related subjects.  :)  Parts of the discussion were way over
my head in LDraw esoterics, but I'm sure every thread like that touches each
person in a different way.

This is a very timely topic, since we managed to choke the list last
night.  Again.

Ahhhh, that explains the sudden silence there.

So the L-CAD listserv can't handle more than 50-100 messages per day?

--Todd