 Administrative / General / 871
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:04:12 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

I think it's more like "we don't want the threads exposed to the world".
Of course, the major players are all there already -- you, Larry and
Mike.

"exposed" meaning "poisoned" or "corrupted" or "affected" or "known" or
"watched" or "commented on" or "muddied up"?  :)

More toward the end of the list, I believe.  Any readers are welcome to
jump in at this point with contradictory opinions.

I see.  So is it accurate to say that one concern is Joe Random Poster
dropping in and posting a doofy comment, opinion, question, or problem...?

If so, I would have to agree that a J.R.P. is more likely to subscribe and
post doofy things to a CAD-related newsgroup than to subscribe and post
doofy things to a semi-hidden CAD-related mailing list.

What if it was impossible for J.R.P. to post there?  That is, what if read
permission for the group was on by default, but write permission (posting)
was off by default?  How much of the objections/concerns go away in that
scenario?

If it means "known," what about lurking and/or participation from people
inside TLG?

Hmm.  TLG watchers?  Good or bad?  Hmm.

Probably good.  We certainly can't assume that TLG is incapable of finding
discussions, and it certainly would be bad to try to hide anything...not
that there's anything worth hiding anyway.  In any case, it's just as easy
(if not easier) for anyone to get on a mailing list than to subscribe to a
newsgroup on a special newsgroup server (assuming first-time subscription).

I just wanted to verify that we're on the same page with respect to TLG
being a non-issue in terms of a barrier to newsgroup-hood.

--Todd