 Administrative / General / 774
Re: Informal CFD: robotics competition newsgroup(s)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 05:51:29 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
This is an informal call for discussion regarding the creation of a focused
newsgroup/mailing-list for _Robot_Arena_ combat events.  The LEGO Mindstorms
Robot Arena homepage (not sponsored by The LEGO Group) is located at:
   http://www.azimuthmedia.com/RobotArena/

Yay cool. I just wish the San Jose thing where a bit earlier, 'cause I'm
going to be there for LinuxWorld Conf/Expo.

One thought -- might this fit with a more general "lego gaming" theme?
LegoWars springs immediately to mind, and that thing Steve Jackson was (is?)
doin' with pirate boats. That's just a random thought....

I don't think it fits in with gaming per se (as in, all mixed in together in
a single newsgroup), but perhaps it fits into a gaming sub-hierarchy off the
main root in some way...after all, in competitions there are winners and
losers, just like in games.  The Robot Arena thing is highly robotics-
oriented, though.  (Too bad newsgroups can't be categorized fuzzily.  :-)

BTW, are there lots of "gaming"-type things?  At one time, there was going
to be a .games group or hierarchy here, for discussing things like the
official LEGO games (N64 racing game, LEGO Chess, etc.), unofficial RPGs,
and other game-style group activities.

I guess one thing to consider might be  lugnet.gaming.robot-arena .
"Gaming" is an neat word in that it implies fun, competition, and sport.

Nate & David, what do you think about Robot Arena existing inside a gaming
hierarchy?  How important is robotics in relation to the gaming/competition
aspects?  Do you expect the Robot Arena discussions to revolve around
robotics technologies more than working out the rules and events organizing?
Or would the more robotics-oriented portions of the discussions stay on the
.robotics group/list?

Another possibility is putting it inside of an .events hierarchy, which was
once-upon-a-time under consideration for things like organizing LEGO fests
and huge get-togethers like the opening of LEGOLAND California in Carlsbad.

Nate Burgess suggests  lugnet.robotics.robot-arena  for all combat-related
LEGO, and  lugnet.robotics.competitions  for non-combatant tourneys
(especially K-12 school-sponsored).

I'm not quite sure there's justification for separating these two. I
sincerely hope that _any_ lego competition will be fairly un-gory, even if
it is very combat-oriented -- I certainly don't want MY lego broken. Is any
of this more violent than, say, football or wrestling?

Well, the more general non-combat newsgroup was actually an after-thought --
Robot Arena being the thing in need of a focused home for discussions.  I
guess it depends on how focused Nate and David want the area to be --
whether they want to hear about other competitions in the same ng, or
whether it would be noise.

--Todd