 Administrative / General / 869
Re: Informal CFD: robotics competition newsgroup(s)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:32:12 GMT

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:26:34 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

Help me understand how the origin of messages in a group is pertinent to
sub-grouping under a group?  If you access a group using an NNTP newsreader,
then it's a newsgroup to you.  If you access a group via SMTP e-mail, then
it's a mailing list to you.  When you're reading and interacting with people
in a group, why does it matter where the messages originated?

It gets back to expectations of behavior (both people and machines).  As
a mail-list subsriber, I'd expect the list to behave one way.  As an ng
reader, I'd have different expectations.

If Chris Atlas had posted to lugnet.anything-else, I doubt you would
have gotten any complaints.

So, since the 'members' of the ng have different expectations of/from
the lugnet.robotics, this ng should be handled somewhat differently.
Again, this is just my opinion.  I've never admined an NNTP.

Maybe another example will help pin it down -- how do you feel about the
ba-lego@cinnamon.com mailing list gatewayed with lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf?
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf has sub-groups of .con, .oak, and .oak.  Messages sent
to ba-lego@cinnamon.com aren't echoed into the subgroups of
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf any more than messages to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf are...

True. I feel kinda the same way, but not strongly enough to suggest you
re-arrange anything.

But a general-purpose lugnet.events hierarchy would be interesting, too.

Things like LEGO fests, tours, shopping excursions...?  (Unless what I'm
thinking of is more of a .soc.events than .events...?)

And robotic tournaments, RPG get-togethers, on-line chat sessions, tours
at Enfield, ...  This overlaps with lugnet.loc.* pretty strongly.  But
it would give you a place for another announce group:
lugnet.events.announce. :)

If there was a .gaming or .games hierarchy, and RPGs weren't a part of it,
I wonder what other types of games and competitions would go there besides
robotics competitions?  For example, I have difficulty imagining people
having Cyber Slam tournaments.  :-)

I meant that general discussion of RPGs wasn't what I meant when I
mentioned .games..  But discussion & planning for get-togethers to play
LEGO-based RPGs would be part of the charter.

Don't those go hand-in-hand?  If not, at least transitively, right?  :)
Post-mortem discussions of get-togethers certainly go with discussion &
planning, and part of post-mortem discussions are going to be refinements
and questions and all that.

You could say I was thinking of lugnet.events.games.

The stuff that wouldn't belong is technical discussions on specific RPG
rules between people who are never going to get together.

On-topic: "We're going to have a game-day using the 'Wooden Ships and
Plastic Men'[1] rules in Chicago![2]"

Off-topic: "I've updated my XYZ rules.  It's at ABC.com.  What do you
think?"

Steve
[1] Or is that the other way around?
[2] See how easily this turns into fodder for lugnet.loc?