 Administrative / General / 807
Re: Quoted/non-quoted ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:00:02 GMT

Beaker <beaker@havoc.gtf.org> writes:

[...]
The problem with this is that any arbitrary line you draw will exclude
some legitimate posts.  The goal here is obvious; you want to prevent
posts that quote fifty or sixty lines of text in order to say 'me too'
... this is obnoxious, but it would require AI to filter it effectively
without stepping on legitimate posts.  I can think of a number of
situations where quoting 50 or 60 lines would be appropriate.  Trying to
set a percentage, say, quoted text can amount to no more than 1.5x the
original text, will run into similar problems.

I've always felt that trying to enforce this particular item of
netiquette causes more problems than it solves.  For example, the very
same people who are likely to quote an entire article to post a one-line
response are the same people who, when confronted with a message that
their post has been rejected due to quoted text, will just go back and
add 70 or 80 blank lines.  You gain nothing.

Well put.  And good documentation for the record.  :)

It's an extremely difficult problem to solve correctly in a completely
mechanized way.

My questions to Matt were designed to highlight the difficulties and I hope
it didn't seem like I was anything but extremely skeptical.  :-)

--Todd