 Administrative / General / 948
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:00:49 GMT

Todd Lehman (lehman@javanet.com) wrote:
sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:

[...]

It might. My main problem is that I think you aren't supposed to have
groups placed in other groups, only in "categories".

I've heard that too.  :)  I don't think it's a Good-Thing/Bad-Thing thing.

Note that sub-groups of real groups are a way of life in the lugnet.loc.*
hierarchies -- and it's an important property of their usage.

But sub-groups of real groups also happen all the time on Usenet, don't they?

No. Whenever the depth of a hierachy on Usenet is extended, the original
group is terminated, and a .misc group is created to handle what's not
put in other groups. The problem is that some servers don't notice it,
when newsgroups are terminated.

Although super-general things like comp.lang or rec.toys don't exist, more
specific (but still fairly general) newsgroups like comp.ai, comp.databases,
and comp.programming all exist as real newsgroups with sub-groups.

I am pretty sure they have been replaced by comp.ai.misc,
comp.databases.misc, and comp.programming.misc.

Are there taxonomical reasons for avoiding sub-groups of
real groups, or is it just one of those FUD[1] things that
we all hear at one time or another and pass along?  Maybe
it has to do with traffic...  Something so general as a
comp.lang or a rec.toys would have a zillion messages a
day, whereas something like lugnet.cad is very low-traffic
in comparison.

I don't think it's a matter of traffic. I haven't looked for
any RFC's on the topic, but I know at least one newsreader
that assumes that all newsgroups are leaves in the hierachy.

[...]

lugnet.cad.general follows the style from other Lugnet groups.

I forget where the name lugnet.admin.general came from,
but I kinda wish that it had been named simply
lugnet.admin.  lugnet.general is a special case because it
sounded silly to simply have a newsgroup called just plain
lugnet. (Those are the only two groups that have the
.general suffix.)

Then we should probably use ".misc" as on Usenet (if we
decide to rename lugnet.cad).

[...]

If it's
too much work to move the articles from lugnet.cad to a new group, we
can keep lugnet.cad it as it is now,

It's certainly possible, but it's not something that I'd
look forward at all to doing.  :)

Then lets skip that suggestion.

[...]

and just add lugnet.cad.developers.

Say, perhaps instead of .developers, maybe .development?

No problem.

[...]

On that note, are there other "intimidating" words with
the same level of "stay out unless you're a real
wizard/geek" as .developers has?  Does .internals or
sw-development or .software-dev or anything like that
still work and also keep newbies and "regular users" out?

I think they would work. Another option is .programming. But
it leaves out the part development.

Play well,

Jacob

           --  E-mail: Jacob.Sparre.Andersen@risoe.dk  --