 Administrative / General / 794
793  |  795
Subject:
Quoted/non-quoted ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:24:00 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

PS: nuther random suggestion for todd -- the news server at bu is set up so
that it will only accept posts with more new content than quoted stuff.
seems like a good idea.

How does it calculate the sizes of the two halves?  Lines?  Bytes?
Non-whitespace characters?

In practice, does it encourage things like large signature files and
fluff-filling to get around the rule?

How does it identify quoted stuff?  Does it correctly handle >, |, +, and :
in all cases?  (Not everyone uses >, unfortunately.)

--Todd

p.s.  How would you feel if the newsserver rejected posts such as these?--

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:762
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:736
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:647