 Administrative / General / 795
Re: Restricting posts: (was: Re: Informal CFD: robotics competition newsgroup(s))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:33:16 GMT

Beaker <beaker@havoc.gtf.org> writes:

Also sprach Matthew Miller:
PS: nuther random suggestion for todd -- the news server at bu is set up so
that it will only accept posts with more new content than quoted stuff.
seems like a good idea.

Todd, I would discourage this practice for one specific reason:

Sometimes the material you want to post is in fact quoted, but not form
a previous article.  Sometimes it is a repost with comments, sometimes
it is an example ... I ran into this the other day on my regular server,
when I was trying to post an example of 'good posts' vs 'bad posts' ...
all of the material was original, but more of it was quoted than not,
and the server bitched.

I realize I am arguing for leaving good posting behavior up to
individuals on the day after someone blatantly ignored a polite request,
but still, I think those types of situations will be rare.

Agreed 100%.  It's too bad, BTW, that newsserver error messages back to the
user can only be pass/fail.  It would be nice to say, "Hey, are you aware
that your post is 90% quoted and 10% new? You might consider snipping a bit
more quoted stuff," and then let the poster click "Post anyway; I know what
I'm doing" or "Let me re-edit," and then have a conflibberjibbet somewhere
to configure the threshold between 0% (never warn) and 100% (always warn).

Could be done on the web-interface side of things, but I'd call it feeping
creaturitis.

--Todd