 Administrative / General / 950
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:46:35 GMT

sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:

[...]

It might. My main problem is that I think you aren't supposed to have
groups placed in other groups, only in "categories".

I've heard that too.  :)  I don't think it's a Good-Thing/Bad-Thing thing.

Note that sub-groups of real groups are a way of life in the lugnet.loc.*
hierarchies -- and it's an important property of their usage.

But sub-groups of real groups also happen all the time on Usenet, don't they?

No. Whenever the depth of a hierachy on Usenet is extended, the original
group is terminated, and a .misc group is created to handle what's not
put in other groups.

Even if that were true (which it isn't; you can find zillions of examples where
there is a.b.c & a.b.c.d and no a.b.c.misc), isn't it silly to require that a
new group a.b.c.misc be created to replace a perfectly working group a.b.c?

Anyway, the cool thing about netnews technology and newsgroup names
(independent of any Usenet tradition) is that it was desgined to allow groups
to exist at both leaf nodes _and_ fork-nodes.  Eliminating a.b.c when creating
a.b.c.d1 & a.b.c.d2 would just be convention but not a requirement.

The problem is that some servers don't notice it,
when newsgroups are terminated.

I wonder why they even bother trying to delete it...

Although super-general things like comp.lang or rec.toys don't exist, more
specific (but still fairly general) newsgroups like comp.ai, comp.databases,
and comp.programming all exist as real newsgroups with sub-groups.

I am pretty sure they have been replaced by comp.ai.misc,
comp.databases.misc, and comp.programming.misc.

I'm pretty sure they haven't!  :-)  Here, look:

comp.ai
comp.ai.doc-analysis.misc
comp.ai.doc-analysis.ocr
comp.ai.alife
comp.ai.edu
comp.ai.fuzzy
comp.ai.games
comp.ai.genetic
comp.ai.jair.announce
comp.ai.jair.papers
comp.ai.nat-lang
comp.ai.neural-nets
comp.ai.nlang-know-rep
comp.ai.philosophy
comp.ai.shells
comp.ai.vision

comp.databases
comp.databases.adabas
comp.databases.btrieve
comp.databases.filemaker
comp.databases.gupta
comp.databases.ibm-db2
comp.databases.informix
comp.databases.ingres
comp.databases.ms-access
comp.databases.ms-sqlserve
comp.databases.object
comp.databases.olap
comp.databases.oracle.marketplace
comp.databases.oracle.misc
comp.databases.oracle.server
comp.databases.oracle.tools
comp.databases.paradox
comp.databases.pick
comp.databases.progress
comp.databases.rdb
comp.databases.revelation
comp.databases.sybase
comp.databases.theory
comp.databases.visual-dbase
comp.databases.xbase.codebase
comp.databases.xbase.fox
comp.databases.xbase.misc

comp.programming
comp.programming.contests
comp.programming.literate
comp.programming.threads

comp.ai alive is and well at 17 articles/day.  comp.databases is alive and well
at 26 articles/day.  comp.programming is alive and well at 66 articles/day.

No comp.ai.misc.  No comp.databases.misc.  No comp.programming.misc.

Are there taxonomical reasons for avoiding sub-groups of
real groups, or is it just one of those FUD[1] things that
we all hear at one time or another and pass along?  Maybe
it has to do with traffic...  Something so general as a
comp.lang or a rec.toys would have a zillion messages a
day, whereas something like lugnet.cad is very low-traffic
in comparison.

I don't think it's a matter of traffic. I haven't looked for
any RFC's on the topic, but I know at least one newsreader
that assumes that all newsgroups are leaves in the hierachy.

Which version of which newsreader is that, and how many people use it?

--Todd