 Administrative / General / 892
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 06:45:32 GMT

"Linc Smith" <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> writes:

[...]
Perhaps my reasons for believing that there is no need are flawed.

I don't think your reasons for believing that there is no need are flawed,
After all, from your point of view, as you described, a news gateway wouldn't
help you.

But if I'm understanding your conclusions, then the flaw, I think, is in
concluding that a lack of an obvious need for something is a reason not to do
that something.

It just seems that there is no clear advantage.

Do you remember writing this?--

  "At first I was very hesitant to have the mail list join the Lugnet robotics
   group, but now I am very glad it did.  The increase in membership, and
   knowledge was a welcome improvment.  It is also nice to be able to keep up
   with the advancements in non-TLG produced programming applications, even if
   I don't understand some of it."

You go on to say:

  "However, there have been glimpses of problems to come on *.robotics."

and supply many excellent points for discussion regarding follow-ups and
crossposting to other groups, moving threads, and general pro-newsgroup
advocacy.  References:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:638
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:643
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:650

Have you changed your mind about the robotics mailing list?  In your mind, do
the advantages of the merger no longer outweigh the disadvantages?  Have the
disadvantages grown or shrunk?  (BTW, one disadvange you discovered (reply-to)
has been fixed.)

Is it possible that if L-CAD were mirrored into a newsgroup here, that someday
down the road you might take a look back and say, "Hey, at first I was very
hesitant/negative about this, but now..." ?

It is a lot easier to burn a barn that to build one.  Perhaps I am just
"burning" points that you bring up... I don't know, and I think I will stop
talking on this.  No one is supporting the same thoughts I have, so I don't
want to hold up what others want.

If you believe that there is no clear advantage in something, yet someone else
does, it's usually impossible to convince them that the advantages they see
aren't there.  What you might try to do instead, if you want to change their
mind, is show them the clear disadvantages and how they outweigh the perceived
advantages.

--Todd