 Administrative / General / 875
Re: Mailing list gateways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:31:43 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <36a4d53e.57295068@lugnet.com>...

I see.  So is it accurate to say that one concern is Joe Random Poster
dropping in and posting a doofy comment, opinion, question, or problem...?

No, it is not accurate to use the word "doofy".  I think uniformed or
misplaced comments would be a better description.

I lurked on the LCAD list for months before asking a question.  Most of my
initial interests were with just getting LEdit to work; I couldn't
contribute anything to part production discussions.

My first interests were being able to work LEdit at a reasonable
proficiency.  We have Lugnet.cad for this now, and it is great.  Many of the
LCAD listers monitor that group and are always willing to help out people
just getting going with LDraw.  Many LCAD listers post to Lugnet.cad on
topics that are of general interest and not specifically about _development_
of the program and accessories/new programs.

If so, I would have to agree that a J.R.P. is more likely to subscribe and
post doofy things to a CAD-related newsgroup than to subscribe and post
doofy things to a semi-hidden CAD-related mailing list.

We don't have banner adds, but I wouldn't categorize LCAD as semi-hidden. :)
I would say that about 100% of the people that use LDraw have visited the
James Jessiman Memorial Central Nexus were the List is mentioned, and it is
in the LDraw FAQ (which is almost a necessary read for using the program).
This speaks to your comment (came after I started writing this) that

... someone who's -not- already up to speed on
the multiple-newsgroup thing (a TLG employee or a newbie or a non-die-hard-
fan, perhaps) may actually be likely to have an easier time getting on a
mailing list than onto a newsgroup.

This is true.  So a gateway is not going to improve circulation to this
subset of people (which I am not sure if that is the intended goal of a
gateway).  The other subset you mentioned

... someone who's already up to speed on the
multiple-newsgroup thing here is likely to have an easier time accidentally
mucking around in a newsgroup than accidentally finding and subscribing to • a
mailing list and mucking around there.

has the Lugnet.cad group to ask questions and get information on how to use
LDraw and LEdit. And if they feel part development is necessary step for
them, they can jump on the list.  Another posting of the LDraw FAQ, and
perhaps a regular posting to Lugnet.cad would be a good thing too.  I think
Jacob might just have forgoten to do it lately (he'll probably be reminded
and post it if he reads this :)

What if it was impossible for J.R.P. to post there?  That is, what if read
permission for the group was on by default, but write permission (posting)
was off by default?  How much of the objections/concerns go away in that
scenario?

So a entrance test, requisite lurking period, a board of entrance? I would
have to hear more, but that sounds like a hornets nest.  As it stands now
there is no restriction to who joins the LCAD list.  There is simply an
interest threshold.

I just wanted to verify that we're on the same page with respect to TLG
being a non-issue in terms of a barrier to newsgroup-hood.

I don't think it is an issue since we know that at lest one member of the
Technic Futura group is subscribed, and the Software company (not directly
TLG) working On Creator has posted.

0.02
LINC