 Administrative / General / 904
Re: Troubles Setting up Cookies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:20:55 GMT

"Barbara Sproat" <BSproat@Novell.com> writes:

I'm having troubles getting my account setup through the web interface.

I'm using Netscape 4.5 and I have set the cookie option to 'Accept only cookies
that get sent back to the originating server'.  However, I originally set up my
account with cookies disabled.  So now every time I post or reply I still get
the following message:

** Before doing anything else here, make sure that you have done the following:
**      1.Carefully and fully read the Terms of Use for this site.
**      2.Special note for 19 Oct 1998: Read the announcement about the web
interface change.
**      3.Go through the Setup procedure to request permission to post
messages.
** Continue

I then have to Identify myself and check the Terms of Use box before I can post
the message.  How do I get rid of these messages so I can post and reply
normally?

Here's how I would do it...

Go to Edit/Preferences/Advanced and select "Accept all cookies" and make sure
"Warn me before accepting a cookie" is checked.  Then re-run the news-posting
setup page

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

and confirm the acceptance of the cookie.  Then go back to Edit/Preferences/
Advanced and change the cookie settings to whatever you had them before.

--Todd

p.s.  By chance have you accessed the site using the URL

   http://lugnet.com/news/...

instead of

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/...

?

The cookies that go out are supposed to be *.lugnet.com-compatible (they say
simply '.lugnet.com' instead of 'www.lugnet.com' -- in case someone forgets the
'www.' prefix)...  But I not sure I have all the nits picked out.