 Administrative / General / 937
Re: FS: 8094 Technic Control Center
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:03:13 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

Todd Lehman wrote:

Eric McCarthy <bendyarm@aol.com> writes:

[...]
I would like to sell it for the best offer over $210, buyer paying
shipping.
I don't think of this as an auction since there will be no update
and no opportunity to increase your offer based on anyone else's offer.

[ Todd: If this type of sale is considered an auction, please let me
know and I'll post this sort of thing to the auctions group in the
future. ]
[...]

Good question!
$xyz o.b.o. doesn't fit the definition of auction (is there a B&W one?)...
Go ahead and post o.b.o. types of sales here as long as there aren't updates
and stuff...

Disagree, this is a sealed bid auction. You get one bid, you don't know
who else is bidding. Nevertheless it's an auction. The key component of
an auction is that multiple people are competing for a scarce commodity
and it's not first come first served, price is the metric.

Auction variables include (but are not limited to, I may have missed
some)
- number of bids allowed (in this case it's one, but you can have a two
round sealed bid with an intermediate announce of the winning so far
bid, for example)
- sealed or open (visible to everyone, that is, updates) bids (in this
case they're sealed)
- single or multiple lots
- anonymous or known bidders (or a variant where only other bidders
know, not the general public, or a variant often used in public
contracts where you know who's bidding but not their bids(eBay before
closure of the auciton), or a variant where all is revealed at the end
(either top bids ala eBay after closure or total bid sequence))
- conventional (increasing) bids or dutch (price reduction until sold)
- pricing process (do you pay high bid or do you pay some variant such
as the high bid wins at the second highest bid price)
- fixed end time or going-going-gone (in this case it's fixed end time,
but the time hasn't been stated... it has to be fixed by implication
since it's not going-going-gone)

Excellent points!  OK, maybe we should see how close we can come to a B&W
definition of an auction (you've come pretty close there above already) so that
people can refer to this if there is any question.  Maybe something for the
FAQ.

That was the pedantic view. The pragmatic one is that l.m.b-s-t is
better suited to one time announcements and l.m.auction to ongoing
updates so it fits here better than there. The REALLY pragmatic view is
that you make the rules so what you say goes.

Followups set to lugnet.admin.general

I think the pragmatic side of the coin was the mindset in the outset (heh) but
OBO's are tricky things to categorize...  :)  When you see a bicycle for sale
in the newspaper as "$75 OBO" it usually means, "$75 if anyone'll gimme $75,
otherwise I'll go lower if necessary."  Eric's OBO is a different kind -- best
offer exceeding $xyz.  Eric's type of OBO is definitely more auction-like than
a classified newspaper ad for a bicycle.

--Todd