 Administrative / General / 956
Re: FS: 8094 Technic Control Center
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:25:51 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

Todd Lehman wrote:

I think the pragmatic side of the coin was the mindset in the outset (heh) but
OBO's are tricky things to categorize...  :)  When you see a bicycle for sale
in the newspaper as "$75 OBO" it usually means, "$75 if anyone'll gimme $75,
otherwise I'll go lower if necessary."  Eric's OBO is a different kind -- best
offer exceeding $xyz.  Eric's type of OBO is definitely more auction-like than
a classified newspaper ad for a bicycle.

Arguably this is an auction too.

Agreed!  :)  I just meant to say that one type was "more" auction-like than the
other type, not to say that the bicycle example wasn't an auction at all.  If
you buy into the concept of fuzzy quantifiers on how much something is an
auction, the bicycle example might be, say, only 10% auction, whereas Eric's
example might be, say, 40% auction.  :)

The 75 is a suggestion as to where to
price. In the bicycle case the seller thinks it is high. In Eric's case,
he thinks it is low. In either case, a bid of 70, absent any other bids,
may well be accepted (although if Eric said 75 was a reserve price, it
won't be).

Hey!  By what percentage does this mean that an $11 Outback Airstrip at S@H
this week is an auction of bicycle type?  ;-)    1%...?

--Todd